Tyre sizes .. need some advice please

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tyres, Brakes & Suspension' started by Spokey, May 13, 2016.

1. Spokey

Spokey New Member

Car:
    SLK 200
    Hi
    Just got myself a nice 2004 SLK 200. Very happy with it apart from one thing.
    Previous owner had two new rear tyres fitted ( standard 16" alloys ) they are 255x55x16 instead of the normal 255x50x16
    They look a bit odd as they literally fill the wheel arch and look a little "balloon " like - but are Goodyear Efficient grip ( not bad tyres ) and are only 1" taller than the proper size. The car doesn't feel strange and they don't rub or anything.

It could do with a couple of fronts, so question is, do I stick with the ones on the back and get a pair of Goodyears for the front to match - or do I go for a set of 4 in the right size ?

If I get 4 - Im looking at Falken ZE914, or Avon ZV7 as these seem reasonable tyres at a reasonable price.

Your thoughts ?

Cheers

2. John

John MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CL500
    Welcome to the forum.

I would replace the fronts with the correct size and leave the backs until they need replacing and then replace them with the correct size.

That's assuming the rears are OK.

3. AMGeed

AMGeed MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2004 W211 E55K ///AMG
    ^ What he said.

Falken ZE914's are a very accomplished tyre. Had them on my E55 for almost 3yrs and only just changed the fronts for another set of Falkens.

4. A250 Bennyboy

A250 Bennyboy Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    A Class A250 w176
    Agree I'd put normal sized tyres on front, the ones you dicribe my give you issues when turning full lock?

5. Alex Richardson

Alex Richardson Member

Car:
    Seat
    I think you should leave the rear as they are now. And if the front is okay then don't change any of them. If your front is not okay then, you can change to match them with the rears.
    Remember, this is the only time when you will replace the whole 4. There will be no perfect time to make it happen.

6. BTB 500

BTB 500 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S203 C230
    Be aware that your speedo and odometer will under-read by almost 4%.

Does the car have cruise control and if so have you checked it? Having the wrong rolling radius is a common cause of having the car drop out of cruise control above a certain speed (because the system detects that the front and rear wheels are turning at different RPM).

7. OP
    OP
    Spokey

Spokey New Member

Car:
    SLK 200
    Thanks for all the replies, and I'll try the cruise, that means I will always be spending by 4% then ... Better watch that !

8. PaulG

PaulG Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    ML 320 W164
    You could swap the rears for the front, assuming the rim sizes are the same. That way, the increase in diameter doesn't matter, and you get your speedo accuracy back. Good way to check if there's any fouling so you can choose what size to buy next time.

You may get ASR or Cruise problems but probably not if it's ok now.

9. def90cars

def90cars Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S205 AMG C63S, W204 C63 AMG PPP, Abarth 595 Competizione, Fiat 500 Twinair, Toyota Carina E GTi
    Not that anyone would normally know, but running wrong size tyres is a modification and may be relevant in any accident etc.

Personally I would get four new ones and sell the others on ebay.

Only cost you another £100

10. OP
    OP
    Spokey

Spokey New Member

Car:
    SLK 200
    Good shout on the insurance, wouldn't want to give them any ammunition - looks like 4 new tyres is the best option really
    Cheers

11. OP
    OP
    Spokey

Spokey New Member

Car:
    SLK 200
    Had 4 new Falkens fitted today - looks miles better ! You wouldn't believe the difference that extra 55 compared to the 50 profile makes - they were like balloon tyres compared to these - the car looks "normal" now ... so anyone looking for a pair of hardly used 225x55x16 Goodyear Efficient grip tyres :) Thanks

Tags: