Tyre Skipping: Now it's my fault for buying a car with 20 inch rims.

Should I continue the battle or give up and pay up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IanRJones

Car
Mercedes GLA 45AMG
An interesting conversation with AMG yesterday following a referral by MB C.S regarding my GLA45AMG tyre skipping.

In summary, I was informed the tyre skipping I am experiencing is characteristically different to that experienced by GLC owners. (Having viewed YouTube videos from GLC owners it's identical). An interesting assertion that I challenged due to the fact that they haven't even examined my car!!! The vacuous fluff response to that challenge was classic and somewhat incredulous.

The conversation then moved on to a suggestion that in order to reduce the tyre skipping, I change to all season tyres or winter tyres.

I then advised that due to research linked to the tyre skipping you can only obtain one tyre for a 235/40r20 AMG rim (Continental) and that is 'summer use'.

The summarised response was.... It is therefore my fault for purchasing a car with 20 inch rims.

Mmm, so I should have an in-depth knowledge of rims, tyre replacement and performance tyre characteristics before I sign on the dotted line.

(Having perused Autotrader most GLA45AMGs for sale are fitted with 20 inch rims.... Potential purchasers take note).

I bought it from an MB dealership as an ex demo with the 20 inch rims and was not informed by the sales assistant that it may tyre skip due to the larger rims, nor would I be able to fit anything other than summer tyres to my performance car- he knew I lived in Wales where snow and ice can be expected each winter.

I was eventually offered 'as a gesture of goodwill' a 50% reduction on 19 inch rims with all season tyres. I did state that if I was a GLC owners and only summer tyres were available I would be offered smaller rims and all season tyres at no cost. I was advised I'm not a GLC owner, that offer only applies to GLC owners and if I remain unhappy I can take my complaint to the Motoring Ombudsman.

In summary, I am getting the exact same MB corporate waffle as those early GLC owners who were experiencing tyre skipping and getting little joy except my having to pay more money to change rims to reduce a problem that existed when I bought the car.

Unfortunately, I suspect the critical mass of complaints by GLC owners which 'forced' MB to act will not be repeated by the very few GLA45AMG owners. I watch with interest how other non GLC owners experiencing the same problem get on.

The battle continues and constructive views of contributers to this forum would be most welcome.

Please take a couple of seconds to complete my poll above the thread. Thanks in advance.

Ultimately it depends on the type of person you are and the amount of time you can devote to challenge this type of thing because these battles can really eat away at your soul.

If you do like the car and this is the only thing that is affecting your ownership then I'd say to persevere with your "claim", if not I'd just get rid of it full stop.

Life is too short, either put up with the tyre skipping issue and buy 19" winter rims / tyres , or get rid of the car. I guess you know the odds on getting MB to change their position is low and every time you get behind the wheel you are likely to be unable to forget your ongoing battle! Get something you will enjoy every time you sit in that driving seat!

I would persist to a point but set a deadline.

If not resolved by then, call it a day and vote with your feet.

There is no point in going through the stress and aggravation.

nor would I be able to fit anything other than summer tyres to my performance car- he knew I lived in Wales where snow and ice can be expected each winter.

It's usual practice to fit a smaller size wheel and tyre for winter use. I would take their 50% offer for a set of winter wheels and tyres, or see if they can up it. If you genuinely were considering buying winter tyres before you experienced these problems, this is a good saving. If you do get some bad weather you won't be going anywhere on the 20" summer tyres!

I've just watched the videos on YouTube and oh dear that's bad! And by the way one even had 19inch wheels with summer tyres and still had the same issue. To me it looks like Mercedes have messed up the suspension/steering geometry, when you steer both front wheels don't turn in/out the same amount, it looks like the inside wheel is being dragged away from the corner by the other wheel causing it to skip as this wheel is semi unloaded.
Mercedes **** up that's for sure but proving it will be a different ball game!good luck

How many miles are left in the current set of tyres?

If they'll be due for replacement during the timescale you'll be owning or leasing the car, then if Mercedes will provide a set of winter wheels and tyres for less than the cheapest price you can buy replacement tyres for your existing wheels, then I would go for it. You'll be better off based solely on the transaction and you'll have and additional set of wheels and tyres which can be sold separately and recoup more money.

I would buy the 19'' winter wheels only if they guarantee this will solve the issue .

How many miles are left in the current set of tyres?

If they'll be due for replacement during the timescale you'll be owning or leasing the car, then if Mercedes will provide a set of winter wheels and tyres for less than the cheapest price you can buy replacement tyres for your existing wheels, then I would go for it. You'll be better off based solely on the transaction and you'll have and additional set of wheels and tyres which can be sold separately and recoup more money.

Don't the dealers take the original 20" rims in part exchange i.e. one doesn't have the option to retain and sell on if one wishes

Don't the dealers take the original 20" rims in part exchange i.e. one doesn't have the option to retain and sell on if one wishes

On the GLC I've read that the tyres are a swap in some cases (not in others), but in this case, on the GLA, I interpretted that the 50% reduction in cost (as a gesture of goodwill) to be a discount or contribution towards the cost (or maybe both) of another set of wheels and tyres, rather than a part exchange. I could be wrong though.

How long have you owned the vehicle? Can you reject it under the Sale of Goods act as not fit for purpose?

Might be worth asking Honest John (@ Daily Telegraph)

Many thanks to all contributors. Your contributions have been invaluable.

I should have an update regarding my battle shortly. Things have developed and my issues have now taken an unexpected turn. In fairness to MB and as per my promise, I am unable to elaborate yet as I have given MB time to investigate and give their formal written response. A failure to see the light and do what is morally right in addressing a serious issue will lead me to move to stage 2. More to follow, but please keep the comments and poll contribution coming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom