Tyre speed ratings

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tyres, Brakes & Suspension' started by welland99, Jul 26, 2011.

1. welland99

welland99 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W210 E280 estate 1999 facelift; 6th gen honda accord coupe 2000
    Tyres seem to be cheaper in the lower speed ratings. Is it an acceptable thing to buy a lower speed rated tyre that is listed in the handbook?

eg, my 210 says v rated in the handbook (from memory). This means up to 149 MPH:eek:.

There's no way that I'm ever going to get close to that speed. In fact, I can't even remember the last time I got up to 80!:)

So, is there any reason why i should not choose a cheaper lower speed rated tyre?

Are the higher speed rated tyres built stronger to cope with higher torque and acceleration as well as ultimate top speed?

2. npuk

npuk Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    A180 CDI Avantgarde SE (2008)
  3. Doodle

Doodle Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    R129, Leon Cupra 290, BMW R100
    In a word, no.

As you have touched on, there are issues of weight and power to consider. Although the speed rating is aimed as its name suggests, they generally go hand in hand with the load rating - i.e. cheaper tyres with lower speed ratings are aimed at smaller lighter cars.

Also, fitting tyres of lower spec gives your insurers instant wriggle room for any claim where you are deemed to have fault.

4. Benzowner

Benzowner Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Qashqai Acenta Premium 1.6Diesel
    You can put lower speed rated tyres on your car, but as above, inform your insurance company and get them to acknowledge your request for lower speed rated tyres. I did it many years ago, not sure if insurance companies are now so accomodating.

5. silver_star

silver_star Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Leicestershire, England, 3rd Rock From The Sun
    Car:
    W203 C220CDI Auto Elegance
    [FONT=&quot]The tyres are the only thing between you and the road, it really isn't worth scrimping or deviating from manufacturers recommendations to save a couple of quid.

Just fit what it says in your handbook and then your conscience will be clear should anything happen [/FONT]:)

1 person likes this.
  6. dulayj

dulayj Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    A 210/Volvo XC90
    Agreed with silver star-safety first always!

7. developer

developer MB Club Veteran

Car:
    S212 E63 S
    There are budget tyres available at the correct rating - personally I wouldn't touch those either (I always buy MO) but they will enable you to save a few quid and stay within spec.

8. snoop51

snoop51 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    MB E350 CDI Sport w/ command & leather
    +1. Fit the best you can afford within the specification given by the manufacturer. :)

9. Working my Merc

Working my Merc Member

Car:
    E320 CDi Estate
    +2 I never scrimp on tyres. They are so critical to saving your life, and your loved ones lives, that the few pounds extra spent are worth it.

I went with MO Continentals. I know there are cheaper options out there but these have been great so far. It does hurt the old pocket when they wear out though!!

10. developer

developer MB Club Veteran

Car:
    S212 E63 S
    Ditto the MO Continentals.

After a period of buying directional Goodyear Eagle F1's I switched an I'm very pleased do far.

11. flango

flango MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Mercedes SLK R171
    As above, when it comes to it 2 things on the car save your life or reduce injury in the event of an incident, Tyres and brakes do not scrimp on either :thumb: By all means get value for money but lower speed rating or lower spec is just asking for trouble both mechanically and with the Insurance company

12. oldcro

oldcro Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Range Rover Sport 3.0 HSE
    More good advice from Ian.:thumb:

1 person likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    welland99

welland99 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W210 E280 estate 1999 facelift; 6th gen honda accord coupe 2000
    Thanks for all your comments. I decided to get Avon ZV5 tyres to required spec. As it happens the garage fitted the extra load 97W version.