Tyre speed ratings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welland99

Car
W210 E280 estate 1999 facelift; 6th gen honda accord coupe 2000
Tyres seem to be cheaper in the lower speed ratings. Is it an acceptable thing to buy a lower speed rated tyre that is listed in the handbook?

eg, my 210 says v rated in the handbook (from memory). This means up to 149 MPH:eek:.

There's no way that I'm ever going to get close to that speed. In fact, I can't even remember the last time I got up to 80!:)

So, is there any reason why i should not choose a cheaper lower speed rated tyre?

Are the higher speed rated tyres built stronger to cope with higher torque and acceleration as well as ultimate top speed?

In a word, no.

As you have touched on, there are issues of weight and power to consider. Although the speed rating is aimed as its name suggests, they generally go hand in hand with the load rating - i.e. cheaper tyres with lower speed ratings are aimed at smaller lighter cars.

Also, fitting tyres of lower spec gives your insurers instant wriggle room for any claim where you are deemed to have fault.

You can put lower speed rated tyres on your car, but as above, inform your insurance company and get them to acknowledge your request for lower speed rated tyres. I did it many years ago, not sure if insurance companies are now so accomodating.

[FONT=&quot]The tyres are the only thing between you and the road, it really isn't worth scrimping or deviating from manufacturers recommendations to save a couple of quid.

Just fit what it says in your handbook and then your conscience will be clear should anything happen [/FONT]:)

There are budget tyres available at the correct rating - personally I wouldn't touch those either (I always buy MO) but they will enable you to save a few quid and stay within spec.

Agreed with silver star-safety first always!

+1. Fit the best you can afford within the specification given by the manufacturer. :)

+1. Fit the best you can afford within the specification given by the manufacturer. :)

+2 I never scrimp on tyres. They are so critical to saving your life, and your loved ones lives, that the few pounds extra spent are worth it.

I went with MO Continentals. I know there are cheaper options out there but these have been great so far. It does hurt the old pocket when they wear out though!!

I went with MO Continentals. I know there are cheaper options out there but these have been great so far. It does hurt the old pocket when they wear out though!!

Ditto the MO Continentals.

After a period of buying directional Goodyear Eagle F1's I switched an I'm very pleased do far.

As above, when it comes to it 2 things on the car save your life or reduce injury in the event of an incident, Tyres and brakes do not scrimp on either :thumb: By all means get value for money but lower speed rating or lower spec is just asking for trouble both mechanically and with the Insurance company

As above, when it comes to it 2 things on the car save your life or reduce injury in the event of an incident, Tyres and brakes do not scrimp on either :thumb: By all means get value for money but lower speed rating or lower spec is just asking for trouble both mechanically and with the Insurance company

More good advice from Ian.:thumb:

Thanks for all your comments. I decided to get Avon ZV5 tyres to required spec. As it happens the garage fitted the extra load 97W version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom