Tyre Stretch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

whitenemesis

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
Lexus RX450h F-Sport with Takumi Pack 2020
In a word, why??

10J_195_45_13.jpg

TyreStretch.com - Image Library

For show, ok but one could never run them on the road, surely??

Yepp I know people that do. A lot of the VWs aka DUBS have them for the euro look. Most people in Autobahn25 have them.

I just dont see the point. Or am I missing something? :confused:

Yepp I know people that do. A lot of the VWs aka DUBS have them for the euro look. Most people in Autobahn25 have them.

I see much less extreme examples on very many cars in Germany. It's almost normal to have one's rims exposed!

At what point does the tyre suffer separation from the rim seat? I'm sure the tyre carcass is being stressed in ways never designed for.

Dunno if it's related, but...

Back in the day if you were a rad biker you ran a hardtail, that is no suspension, rear axle solidly mounted in the frame... obviously you'll never walk again if done normally, so hardtails always run the rear at around 7 psi, and a fat, soft tyre at that, this is your suspension.

if done on beach buggies, doing this to the tyre and running them at 10 psi or less with give 10x+ traction on the sand.

hmmm, I dno if this could be a reason as well, but a lot of Vws aka DUBS like to ride low...now I know they have their arches reshaped so they don't rub....now if by having the wheel streched it makes the centre sit lower then it could be to reduce contact with the upper arch.

I have heard its dangerous when they strech the tyres as the tyres can rip off due to the pressure. This is due probably that some people put a 195 tyre on a 245 rim.

Also so the car can then sit lower i.e. reducing the gap between the wheels and body arch.

Last edited:
Darwin Theory at work again.

It's merely a(nother) good way for dim people to remove themselves from the gene pool. And pay for the privilege too!

My old mate who worked at Goodyear Technical would die laughing at that.

Darwin Theory at work again.

It's merely a(nother) good way for dim people to remove themselves from the gene pool. And pay for the privilege too!

My old mate who worked at Goodyear Technical would die laughing at that.

He'd be spinning in his grave at this then :doh:

6_105_70_R14.jpg

Ask a drifter ... I think its done so there is no side wall movement, tryes are easier to spin and drift with, or something like that ...

Cheers

;)

i used to frequent the No rice Meet at fleet services in my VW a few years back and there were a few with a minor stretch which gives extra clearance from the arches they looked ok as show cars. the images youve shown just look like wheels with the wrong width tyres on !!

Ask a drifter ... I think its done so there is no side wall movement, tryes are easier to spin and drift with, or something like that ...

Cheers

;)

I would have thought drifting would simply rip the tyre from the rim, if they are stretched so much?

that is just a mess, i really cant describe how bad they are, - really?

saying that though, just looked at my alloys, they seem a little stretched!! didnt notice till i read this thread, as i was saying , yeah i like the stretched look lol

There is valid technical reason for increasing the rim width for a given tyre size, but the benefits in steering response, roll feel, grip and the way the tyre feeds load into the rim would only be noticable on the circuit. But, it would never be taken to extremes like that!:doh:
On the road, we know that the size of the rim is direclty proportional to it's magnetic attraction to kerbs.....;)

i have 205's slightly stretched on 9" rims all round to clear the arches. Never had any problems and looking at them you can hardly tell they are stretched.

i have 205's slightly stretched on 9" rims all round to clear the arches. Never had any problems and looking at them you can hardly tell they are stretched.

I would have though on 9" rims you'd have 245 or 255 tyres?

Rim width Minimum tyre width Ideal tyre width Maximum tyre width
5,0 Inches 155 mm 165 or 175 mm 185 mm
5,5 Inches 165 mm 175 or 185 mm 195 mm
6,0 Inches 175 mm 185 or 195 mm 205 mm
6,5 Inches 185 mm 195 or 205 mm 215 mm
7,0 Inches 195 mm 205 or 215 mm 225 mm
7,5 Inches 205 mm 215 or 225 mm 235 mm
8,0 Inches 215 mm 225 or 235 mm 245 mm
8,5 Inches 225 mm 235 or 245 mm 255 mm
9,0 Inches 235 mm 245 or 255 mm 265 mm
9,5 Inches 245 mm 255 or 265 mm 275 mm
10,0 Inches 255 mm 265 or 275 mm 285 mm
10,5 Inches 265 mm 275 or 285 mm 295 mm
11,0 Inches 275 mm 285 or 295 mm 305 mm
11,5 Inches 285 mm 295 or 305 mm 315 mm
12,0 Inches 295 mm 305 or 315 mm 325 mm
12,5 Inches 305 mm 315 or 325 mm 335 mm

I don't get it either, all you are doing is making the rims more vunerable to curb rash! :doh:

Last edited:
What on earth is a vw aka DUBS :dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom