Tyre suggestions for 124? - Smooth Ride required

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crammy69

Car
2001 W210 E55 AMG,2010 Fiat 500 1.2,2002 Triumph America,LML Star 125 DLX,1984 C70,2011 Thruxton
The 124 I bought last week has two new (but cheap) front tyres, but I need to change the rears.

I'm going to stick with the original 195/65/15 size , on the assumption that Mercedes knew what they were doing when they chose them!. Ive had a look on http://www.tyre-shopper.co.uk/ts/search/SizeSearch.aspx and theres alot of choice, and not a massive difference in price.

So any recommendations of what brand/model to buy - I prefer something that will give a smooth ride. I assume I need a H or V speed rating.

Thanks
Simon

You might find that you need a W rated tyre, your car's handbook should say.

I have nothing further to add to the discussion, tyres are often a personal choice and everyone will tell you a different brand or model is the best... :)

Simon

you will find loads of threads on this; one mans meat is another poison etc. Goodyear seem to be well regarded.

stick with the orignal tyres. theres plenty of rubber there to absorb the travails of UK roads.

I have a mixture myself which i will be updating shortly - all i wold say is get good ones. tyres are what glue you to the road :D

Last edited:
The finner the tread pattern, the quieter the noise, chunky patterns often make more noise, since it takes energy to make a noise quieter tyres are more economical

The 124 I bought last week has two new (but cheap) front tyres, but I need to change the rears.

I'm going to stick with the original 195/65/15 size , on the assumption that Mercedes knew what they were doing when they chose them!. Ive had a look on http://www.tyre-shopper.co.uk/ts/search/SizeSearch.aspx and theres alot of choice, and not a massive difference in price.

So any recommendations of what brand/model to buy - I prefer something that will give a smooth ride. I assume I need a H or V speed rating.

Thanks
Simon

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/total_tyre_guide/213177/tyre_test.html

In my 1990 catalogue the tyres for the W124 300CE-24 COUPE are listed as 195/65ZR15. The original tyres would probably be made by Michelin or Continental. The data card at the back of the service book will tell you for certain. If you put the chassis no in here and select the "full version" print out it will tell you the make the car left the factory with. http://old.mbclub.ru/mb/vin/?lng=eng

In my 1990 catalogue the tyres for the W124 300CE-24 COUPE are listed as 195/65ZR15. The original tyres would probably be made by Michelin or Continental. The data card at the back of the service book will tell you for certain. If you put the chassis no in here and select the "full version" print out it will tell you the make the car left the factory with. http://old.mbclub.ru/mb/vin/?lng=eng

Many thanks. Fi you have a catalogue, can I be really cheeky and ask how much it would have sold for new in 1990? Mine has leather seats and sunroof but no A/C or any other luxurys other than the Auto box.

Cheers
Simon

I could go and have a look at my 'original' :eek: spare wheel if you like ?

Hope i never get a puncture .... :eek:

Everything Was Extra Cost In Those Days.

Base price inc vat was £37,610-00 + £1637-97 leather+£648-26 metallic paint= £39,896-23 any other extras would push it over the £40,000 easily.;)

I could go and have a look at my 'original' :eek: spare wheel if you like ?

Hope i never get a puncture .... :eek:

Thats a point, Ill have a look at my spare wheel too, need to see if its better than my left front alloy anyway (which needs a refurb)!

Base price inc vat was £37,610-00 + £1637-97 leather+£648-26 metallic paint= £39,896-23 any other extras would push it over the £40,000 easily

Wow! thanks for that. Blimey, that wasnt cheap, I bought my first house in 1991 and that was 'only' £72,000, mind you it was worth £20,000 less 2 years later!!. I'd struggle to justify spending nearly 40 grand on a car today!.

Cheers

The best tyre for W124 estates I've found is the Continental Premium Contact II. Very quiet & comfortable and they score well in tyre tests

I find Goodyears noisy but this may be because the estate is more sensitive to tyre choice

I'd throw the cheap fronts away and buy a set of four

I fit a set of Contis to every car I sell

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

The best tyre for W124 estates I've found is the Continental Premium Contact II. Very quiet & comfortable and they score well in tyre tests

I find Goodyears noisy but this may be because the estate is more sensitive to tyre choice

I'd throw the cheap fronts away and buy a set of four

I fit a set of Contis to every car I sell

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Good advise,thanks. Given they only cost the trader £70 the pair, they cant be up to much!.

Conti's it is then!

Hello... i kept to 15 inch wheels which i just changed on my coupe.... 195 65 15 and i had Pirelli Corsas.... not the most expensive at £41 each but have not noticed any diffence in ride and they are very quiet too... but before the car had 4 odd tyres so they have to be better than those.
Agree that wheels are personal choice..... i am still torn between my original whels and the ones i just put on.

Energy

The most comfortable, sensible tyre purchase for the OEM 195/65 R15 or the 205/55 R16 sizes are the Michellin Energy XM1+ or the Energy MXV8 tyres. Excellent ride, decent handling and increased fuel efficiency

The most comfortable, sensible tyre purchase for the OEM 195/65 R15 or the 205/55 R16 sizes are the Michellin Energy XM1+ or the Energy MXV8 tyres. Excellent ride, decent handling and increased fuel efficiency

I do agree with this choice..my mum has a 320i using these, amazing range and handling is very good..quiet..she has always stuck with michelins bec of grip and handling..this way, you dont need to worry when having fun bec the tyres will keep the car glued to the tarmac..

Thanks! old thread, but I still have'nt got around to changing the tyres yet, so a good reminder for me.

Sorry about that, always forget to check the start date - only check the preceding post - durrrrr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom