Tyre test in Evo mag

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BarryS

Car
CLK 270CDI
The latest Evo, issue 110, just arrived through my door and the tyre test makes interesting reading. Tested 225/45 R17's on VW Golf GTi. Here's the results:

1st: Godyear Eagle F1 asymmetric
2nd: Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta
3rd: Continental Contisport Contact 3
4th: Bridgestone Potenza RE050-A
5th: Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
6th: Pirelli P Zero Nero
7th: Kumho Ectsa STP KU31
8th: Dunlop Sport Maxx
9th: Yokohama S.Drive
All the tyres seemed to exell in one area or another with the exception of the Yokohama's that were bad at everything: straight line braking in the wet took 12meters longer than the best tyre, the Goodyear.

Some interesting facts:

1. Is bigger better:
On the Bovingdon wet handling test circuit, lap time about 60secs on the 225/45 R17 Bridgestone, for comparison the larger 18" wheels with slightly lower profile 225/40's were timed at 2.5secs slower....so lower profile in the wet means slower speed.

2. Fresher the better
Brand new tyres stopped in the wet 7 meters (14%) shorter than 6-month old tyres (both unused). So storing tyres is like storing elastic bands, not good. Due to rubber degredation. Date code is on the side of the tyre, I'm sure most people know.

Lots more in the article.

Hope this is interesting, and that you haven't just bought Yokohoma's,
Barry

I have the Vredestein on my CLK (18") and they are great, much better than the P Zero Rossos and Pilot Sports that were on the car previously.

Grip is much better.

1st: Godyear Eagle F1 asymmetric

Well its good to know that i spent my money wisely, time to show the ladies, as im told tyres are tyres and they have to pass a safety rating so any tyre is good enough, but only the best for my merc! my mum just gets chepos i.e wanali lol

Better start using my car so I can give these a go.

Got the Contis on mine .. plenty of life left in them yet, but looks like they don't seem to rate as badly as I thought they did ... was thinking to replace with F1s when the time came, so good to see they are still at the top of the list !

S.

Hi

I have long maintained that the Vredestein Ultrac is a cracking tyre. Must try the new Sessenta.

Surprised at Dunlops coming in 8th.

Yokos are rubbish in the wet, I had an old XR2 years ago on Yokies, it was actually scary to drive in the rain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom