tyre thread wear in 10,000 miles in SL400

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C240Sport97

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
SL400, VW California Coast and 911 GT3
My R231 SL400 had its service done today ...

New Goodyear F1 Assymetric 3 tyres fitted around 10,000 miles and about 15 months ago.

Remaining tyre thread depth on all 4 corners were measured today.

I was surprised at the measurements.

Any guesses on thread wear? just 2 mm numbers needed, one for fronts and one for rears.

7mm front and 6mm rear remaining.

I am taking a wild stab that you were surprised in a good way, and that you mostly use your car for relaxed long distance cruising, and hence relatively kind to the tyres.

how many mm used in 10k miles

That totally depends on driving style, type of roads, tyre pressures etc.... but I'll take a random punt:

4mm at the rear (80% wear based on tyre service life of 8mm to 3mm)
5mm at the front (60% wear based on tyre service life of 8mm to 3mm)

I don’t hang about but I also don’t go sliding everywhere

I'm on 16,000 miles on mine and they are nowhere near the wear markers (I check with my scientific finger everytime I wash the car or think about it ;) ). I too do not hang around when driving. I have a battery powered air compressor & regularly check my pressures!

Did you measure the tyres accurately when new? A lot of people use 8mm as a reference but they can vary quite a bit :)

didn’t measure when new. Am assuming 8mm from new

didn’t measure when new. Am assuming 8mm from new
If you’re assuming 8mm start point then I will adjust down by 0.5mm to 6.5mm front and 5.5mm rear. I find in practice new tyres have more than the expected 8mm.

Measured at 6.5mm front and 6mm rears.

my CLS55 went through a set of rears in 10k miles

all that torque is expensive 😂

Measured at 6.5mm front and 6mm rears.

my CLS55 went through a set of rears in 10k miles

all that torque is expensive 😂
That's just what I wanted to hear, perfect. All four Bridgestone tyres on my new-to-me R230 are cracked, bought some new Goodyear eagles for the front and was debating about Bridgestone or Goodyear for the busy, tyre shredding end. I remember putting Falkens on my R129 SL500 some years ago and while the cornering grip was extremely good the rears were knackered in just over 6,000 miles. Did not want the same thing with my more powerful R230.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom