Tyre time...E63

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonboyE63

Car
2012 E63 Wagon
It's time for me to start thinking about tyres, the rears are close to the wear lines & the fronts will need changing soon so I may as well replace all 4...
Currently have what were on the car when I bought it - Pirelli PZero's
255/35ZR19 fronts
285/30ZR19 rears
Before I go & replace like for like, are there any other brands I should consider..??
I had Michelin Pilot sports on my E46 M3 & they were good but didn't last long....
Any pointers/experiences welcome..

Thanks

I have the PS4’s on my C63 and they are a great tyre if you can get them in the sizes you are looking for. Also a friend has a mildly mapped E63 running 750ish BHP and lots of torque and he fitted Pirelli’s and says they suit his car perfectly. A lot of tyre choice comes down to how you intend to use the car most of the time I think.

I intend to replace my P Zero's with Goodyear Asymmetric 3's on my E63 when the time comes.
Very impressed with them during the short time I had my E55 with them fitted.

Not sure that the Pilot Sport 4S is available in the standard sizes for the E63? Also, what works on a C63 doesn't necessarily work on an E63 and vice versa.

I ran Pirelli P Zeros and Conti 5P's (both in MO spec) and also Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 3's (not available in MO spec) on my E63's. Of the three I would rate the Conti's as marginally the best in colder wet conditions, with the Goodyears a close second. The Conti's are noisier and more expensive than the Goodyears which will also last marginally longer. I hated the P Zeros for their abysmal cold weather performance in the wet which I rate as downright dangerous when part worn and would never, ever, recommend them.

So based on my own use I would go for the Goodyears as first choice unless the last bit of wet weather braking performance is important to you, in which case the Conti 5P's.

Unlikely to affect us to much on the south coast plus I have a Clio 172 to use on the snowy/icy/frosty commutes....

Still undecided about tyres.....will get there eventually..

I'll be going for Michelin Pilot Super Sport (PSS) in MO spec on my E63 W212 Facelift.

Had them on my previous car, BMW M6 GC, and they seemed to grip a bit better than my factory supplied Pirelli P Zero (albeit the Michelin PSS were also factory supplied by BMW, a bit of a luck of the draw situation) without any sort of longevity compromises, with my duty cycle.

I'd consider the Michelin MP4S on the AMG but alas, they do not supply them in exact dimensions required on the rears, by memory.

Having said all of the above, I'd say that the top spec tyre from any of the recognised manufacturers are probably going to be fine overall, unless you really do push the car VERY hard and over 8/10ths regularly, which is quite difficult on a public road. So perhaps looking out for a great deal on any of the top spec tyres is a fair strategy too.

A slightly left field option is the Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2. I had asymm 2 s on the e55 and they were ok, couldn't get 3s in the right size and these came recommended, I forget where from.
So far no complaints.

I'll be going for Michelin Pilot Super Sport (PSS) in MO spec on my E63 W212 Facelift.

Had them on my previous car, BMW M6 GC, and they seemed to grip a bit better than my factory supplied Pirelli P Zero (albeit the Michelin PSS were also factory supplied by BMW, a bit of a luck of the draw situation) without any sort of longevity compromises, with my duty cycle.

I'd consider the Michelin MP4S on the AMG but alas, they do not supply them in exact dimensions required on the rears, by memory.

Having said all of the above, I'd say that the top spec tyre from any of the recognised manufacturers are probably going to be fine overall, unless you really do push the car VERY hard and over 8/10ths regularly, which is quite difficult on a public road. So perhaps looking out for a great deal on any of the top spec tyres is a fair strategy too.
295’s fit fine

With the 295 you also get an extra 5mm sidewall protection from kerbing your wheel rim.

PS4S best tyre on market. Grip in the rain is unbelievably good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom