Tyre tread pattern different: PZero MOE - tread pattern different on newer version

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

centas

Car
Mercedes C200 (W205)
Hello!

I went to replace tyres today, one in front and one in back. Reason is the other ones are at 7mm.

When i got back home I noticed new tyre patterns don’t match the pairs on other side of the car.

Called the fitting place and asked about it as worried it may affect in some ways the drive or insurance.

Been told as both existing ones and new ones are PZero MOE, just newly fitted are newer generation: it doesn’t matter and is all good.

Just feeling lost, reason they put newer version is though they had same tread pattern they were not MOE.

Advice or link to a good thread explaining it?)

Attachments

• 11299C14-289D-4243-8586-26474F3DEE80.jpeg
    11299C14-289D-4243-8586-26474F3DEE80.jpeg
    478.3 KB · Views: 35
You sure the difference in appearance isn't down to wear?

You sure the difference in appearance isn't down to wear?
That was my first thought as well but check Kwikfit and they have both patterns available:

Attachments

• 17D8AD54-E58C-45DB-9779-38531A7989A9.jpeg
    17D8AD54-E58C-45DB-9779-38531A7989A9.jpeg
    337.5 KB · Views: 18
Ok, yes different. I wonder what Pirelli themselves would say about mixing on the same axle?

Ok, yes different. I wonder what Pirelli themselves would say about mixing on the same axle?
In official PDF it says:

3. HOMOGENOUS TYRE FITMENT
• It is strongly advised that Pirelli tyres be fitted on all axles of a vehicle, that they are of the same tread pattern and that they are not fitted together with other brands, this is because different
tyre constructions can have different ply steer angles. The PLY STEER ANGLE is the angle created between the actual direction of travel and the
ideal direction of travel of the driver. A larger ply steer angle on the front axle generates UNDERSTEER and the vehicle tends to travel a curve with
a larger radius. A larger
ply steer angle on the rear axle generates OVERSTEER (danger of spinning the vehicle)

source: https://www.pirelli.com/africa/en/SUMMER_AFRICA_EN.pdf

To be fair looking through the pictures on my phone, got the car Approved Used. And the tyres that used to be there have been different tread pattern anyway (the new ones are like for like).

Will be trying to call Mercedes tomorrow to find out what’s up with different patterns.

To be fair looking through the pictures on my phone, got the car Approved Used. And the tyres that used to be there have been different tread pattern anyway (the new ones are like for like).

Will be trying to call Mercedes tomorrow to find out what’s up with different patterns.
Why not just swap them around so that both axels match side to side? You’ll find differences as manufacturers develop their products, can’t stop that.

Why not just swap them around so that both axels match side to side? You’ll find differences as manufacturers develop their products, can’t stop that.
Still a newbie so forget to mention they tyres are staggered so cannot swap around easy

Update so far: unsuccessful in reaching Mercedes for an answer so far. Drove to local Kwikfit who do MOE tyres and they said the newly fitted are new model of same tyre, so should be fine

There are several variations of P Zero for instance Corsa, Nero, Rosso etc its worth checking that they fitted the correct variation, mine are P Zero Nero.

Hopefully this will be sorted to your satisfaction.

Robin

There are several variations of P Zero for instance Corsa, Nero, Rosso etc its worth checking that they fitted the correct variation, mine are P Zero Nero.

Hopefully this will be sorted to your satisfaction.

Robin
From what I found is that new P Zeroes MOE are the same tyre… but different 😁 TyreReviews says the new PZ4 replaced old model:

Attachments

• 6D685930-1FC4-4EB5-802B-1F19B1F0BCB7.png
    6D685930-1FC4-4EB5-802B-1F19B1F0BCB7.png
    306.8 KB · Views: 6
Also: reached out to Pirelli and going to try call a local Mercedes that actually does do tyres in-house

You will never have an issue with these tyres fitted. I ran a new Conti 5 and a Conti 3 MO on the same axle for absolute ages with not a single issue. You will never know while everyday driving.
My Eclass came from the Merc dealer like this when I bought it.

You will never have an issue with these tyres fitted. I ran a new Conti 5 and a Conti 3 MO on the same axle for absolute ages with not a single issue. You will never know while everyday driving.
My Eclass came from the Merc dealer like this when I bought it.
Yeah. Looked at owner’s manual and it says not to mix treads only for winter tyres. So now feeling more confident this is fine.

Attachments

• 8ED5C3F1-63B9-4FD1-9739-79DDDCC62587.jpeg
    8ED5C3F1-63B9-4FD1-9739-79DDDCC62587.jpeg
    590.4 KB · Views: 1
Just in case this will help someone in the future, got a reply from Pirelli:

Thank you for providing the below information. Both of these fitments are homologated for the Mercedes, the PZ4 is the NEW and will have a different tread pattern to the original PZERO fitted. I have provided the links below for further details on these including images.

DOT 93 03 Y083 2119
New P ZERO - Car tyre | Pirelli

DOT CE X2 T120 0120
P ZERO - Car tyre | Pirelli

Within existing UK legislation there are no regulations that prohibit the mixing of different tyre patterns, speed ratings or brands. As long as it’s the correct size, speed and load rating this is not to say that it wouldn't perform ok on your vehicle.

A rather non-committal reply, obviously the response has been through the lawyers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom