Tyre Valves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrML

Car
ML350 Sport
I went to check the tyre pressures - not checked for a few weeks..... The nice shiney silver metal dust caps have started to look a bit second hand lately.
Unfortunatly they were welded stuck with cack from the winter.
Had to go to the tyre shop to get the wheels off etc and a bill for £39. Now replaced with cheap black plastic jobs. Just thought I would mention it for the benefit of other lazy members
No lectures please....

I use a smear of Vaseline on the valve thread, not had any problems...

Don't buy aluminium ones, chrome ones are fine, I had to use two pairs of pliers to get mine off,if this had happened at the road side I would not have been able to inflate the tyres.

The proper M-B aluminium valve covers have a plastic insert for the thread, and do not stick.

I went to check the tyre pressures - not checked for a few weeks..... The nice shiney silver metal dust caps have started to look a bit second hand lately.
Unfortunatly they were welded stuck with cack from the winter.
Had to go to the tyre shop to get the wheels off etc and a bill for £39. Now replaced with cheap black plastic jobs. Just thought I would mention it for the benefit of other lazy members
No lectures please....

I used to use the genuine MB ones but after having 2 sets stolen I decided to try the anoidised aluminium ones - big mistake - like you I had exactly the same problem - no way would they come off. So I ended up having new valves fitted - just happened to be the morning I was packing the car to go away on holidy!

The only time I had M-B ones nicked was on a trip to Germany! Not only that, the parts dept. of the local main dealer had never heard of them :dk: so I had to wait till I was back in the UK to replace them.

My black plastic valve caps were 99p for a set of four from my local petrol station...

The M-B dealer in Germany gave me some plastic ones for free :)

I have set that i can't use as they don't fit because i have the tyre monitoring system on both cars. A fiver if any one is interested.

I have set that i can't use as they don't fit because i have the tyre monitoring system on both cars. A fiver if any one is interested.

Peter, check out my gallery, i dremelled them down to size to make them fit and they look great! and they dont effect the TPMS system like metal ones can.

Many thanks.

Thanks for the replies, I am now the proud owner of new valves and four plastic caps.....

After having several sets of nice shiny caps stolen, I have gone back to the regular black plastic caps. Nobody takes them now and cheap also (free with my tyre supplier).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom