Tyre valves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chrisdean

Car
W205 C200 AMG Line Premium
Do those fancy metal tyre valves need replacing when you fit new tyres on a W205 with run flats? There's mention of potential extra cost due to valves that I've found whilst I've been pricing tyres on a couple of websites.

I've always re-used them.

Just make sure you get a careful tyre fitter who's aware you don't want to change them.

How expensive are they? Surely only a fraction of the cost of the tyres? They're the weakest link in the bits that attach your car to the road, not worth skimping on IMO.

I'm just pre empting getting ripped off, just like when you buy a pair of shoes, they always try to sell you polish.

How expensive are they? Surely only a fraction of the cost of the tyres? They're the weakest link in the bits that attach your car to the road, not worth skimping on IMO.

I think they cost around £30 to £50 each.

Here you go: From a MAIN SUPPLIER of TPMS systems. The battery in them is apparently good for up to 10 years, which is why I leave them alone. You can also end up with the hassle of them not wanting to "re-learn" as well.

You can buy valves and stems for the majority of TPMS monitoring systems the have a TPMS box in the wheel rims as separate items. The valve sits in the stem. You just unscrew the stem and pop the new valve in. If the tyre fitter is switched on they can reuse both parts, but since the valves aren't mega bugs I usually keep a stock in the car and ask the fitter to replace the old valve with a new one. I've been told by a Mercedes dealer that around the nine to ten year mark the sensors battery usually dies and you get stung for four new sensors.

If you've got one of the other systems that just tells you that you tyre is flat rather than showing the pressures for each wheel, then you'll probably find its replace the lot around the ten year mark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom