Tyre Wall Damage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mbenz76

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 AMG Night Edition Premium Plus Saloon
Just had my first A service today and they flagged up some damage to the tyre wall (outside face on the rear o/s).

Tyre is a year old (like the car) and still has over 4mm of tread left so is in otherwise perfect condition.

They quoted me almost £400 for a single tyre - 265/35/18/97Y which is daylight robbery. Most online places are selling for half that so I declined and said I would order if they could fit - which they said they would do.

Upon closer inspection however back at work/home the damage which they identified is a small circle of damage no more than 5mm absolute max. It has cut a chunk but it is still attached so is like a flap over a hole now. Hole is no more than a few mm deep absolute max. It has not exposed any of the steels and is purely in the outer rubber - about halfway between rim and tread. It took 3 of us about 10 minuted to even find it!

It isn't an MOT failure from what I understand as steels are not exposed and hole is way smaller than the limit.

The cause of this damage incidentally - a bloody great patch of pot holes I couldn't avoid due to oncomming traffic on the way home from the airport last week (I think - as I usually avoid where possible but these were impossible to avoid or slow quick enough to reduce impact).

I know it is better to be safe than sorry, but with 4mm of tread left after only 8k miles I am loathed to spend £200+ on a new tyre. I don't drive fast (always stick to speed limit these days) and don't corner hard.

I have popped a blob of glue in to hold the "flap" down and dressed the tyre in tyre gel to keep it dry so am going to see how I go. Going to be keeping a close eye on it though and will replace if necessary.

So, just wondered the views of others - although I suspect I already know! Would you keep the tyre in this condition? After all it is technically legal.

As an aside, does anyone know a good place to get tyre insurance against this sort of thing in case the pot holes claim another one? I have looked around but can't seem to find any that seem reputable.

Just had my first A service today and they flagged up some damage to the tyre wall (outside face on the rear o/s).

Tyre is a year old (like the car) and still has over 4mm of tread left so is in otherwise perfect condition.

I wouldn't take any chances with damage to a tyre side wall, replace it! :thumb:

If the pot holes have been present for a while , you could try claiming from the council .

You have to either show that they were already notified of the road defect and had not repaired it , or that the defect had been there long enough that they should have carried out routine inspection and been aware .

Most likely they will not pay up , but it costs nothing to ask . If you have legal cover on your insurance , you could ask them to pursue this for you .

BTW - if you've run through potholes and damaged a tyre - best get the tracking checked as alignment can easily be knocked out , causing accelerated or uneven tyre wear . You could claim for the cost of this , too .

First things first, the last time I looked Mercedes will match any quote for tyres, so if you see them on the internet for £200, they should match it.:thumb:

Secondly, I wouldn't take the risk of leaving the tyre. Ultimately they are the only things that keep you on the road...;)

Do you carry , or does your car have space for , a full size spare ? if you do , just swap the damaged tyre over for the spare .

Otherwise , it could be worth buying a single steel wheel , and putting the damaged tyre onto it for use as a spare - just to get you home . Put a new tyre on the road wheel and you are good to go . Much safer than a 'space saver' as so many new cars have these days .

Do you carry , or does your car have space for , a full size spare ? if you do , just swap the damaged tyre over for the spare .

There would be no boot left, the tyres are 265/35/18/97Y

I found a nail in my tread, right on the edge and was told by two separate garages that it cannot be fixed. Now need a new tyre £200.

It's gutting when the tyre is like new but a small price to pay for piece of mind.

I would get another opinion and then make a decision. Either way it's not worth gambling on a potentially dangerous tyre. How would you feel if you did have a blow out and caused an accident. It's not worth the risk.

Still a total sickener having to spend £200 when it's not expected.

I've got a similar little piece out of my tyre, done 4k in it and been absolutely fine and driven it quite hard on occasion.

You could go down to a tyre shop/other garage and get a second opinion.

There would be no boot left, the tyres are 265/35/18/97Y

So just where does one put the wheel with the flat tyre in the event of a puncture ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom