tyres 25% more expensive than last year

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wemorgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
A205 C220d
Has anyone else noticed that tyres seem to be quite a bit more expensive than this time last year. I'd expect maybe a 5% increase due to inflation, material, transport costs etc, but 25%. What's driven this price up, or is it just the specific size I'm after 205/55/16?

I just bought some for my 4x4 and they were cheaper than last year, so could be size related. Best price I found was through blackcircles.com although for my wife's Fiat mytyres.co.uk were cheaper. Either of these are a lot less than the big super centres, although they do tend to price match if you ask.

Ditto the comment above, I got clickontyres to price match Tyreleader, and got 2 off 235 35 19 and 2 off 255 30 19 Vredestein Ultrac Vorti, delivered for £599.15.

I found the same when buying Goodyear wrangler HP tyres for my Jeep, much cheaper than when I had looked previously.

seems I'm just lucky ;)

I found the same when buying Goodyear wrangler HP tyres for my Jeep, much cheaper than when I had looked previously.

Mine were also Wrangler HPs for a Jeep (Commander). I have now got an E-class and want to get some winter tyres for next year really. For the Mercedes does anyone know whether the best time to buy is now thru summer when the demand is low but supplies are limited or in October-ish when the supply is likely to be greater but so is the demand.

205/55/16?

That's the size on the front of my car and my daughter's Golf uses the same size all round. I haven't noticed them changing in price - are comparing specific make & model of tyre - if so, which one?

My car has 225/50R16 on the rear - there aren't many suppliers of that size and they do seem to have jumped up. I recently fitted Kumho All-Seasons and they weren't much more than half the price of the Michelim Primacy HPs which would be my usual choice.

Recently had a pair of Michelin Primacy fitted in 205/55/16 size, £176 the pair. Looking back this is the same price for the same tyres bought last year.

That's the size on the front of my car and my daughter's Golf uses the same size all round. I haven't noticed them changing in price - are comparing specific make & model of tyre - if so, which one?

Goodyear Efficientgrip. £60 last year, £75 today. I'm still going to buy them regardless, but the price rise caught my eye.

ive just had fitted yokohama x2 on the front of my clk £153 fitted,balanced.

Goodyear Efficientgrip. £60 last year, £75 today. I'm still going to buy them regardless, but the price rise caught my eye.

I bought a couple of Bridgestone Turanza T001's in your size at different times last year and they look about the same price now - around £75 fitted.

The Goodyear's seem to vary quite a bit depending on where you look - I reckon for 360 fitted you got a pretty good price so it's probably more that, than they've gone up generally.

Shop around. I had to get a replacement tyre after shredding one on my XM doing a Charles de Gaulle impression. As all the other tyres were Maxxis I thought I'd stick with it - found a place that was £18 cheaper than the normal ones and they delivered two days after the order.

16s are also getting expensive as hardly anyone fits them any more! Doing research on my 190 I found 15s and 17s were cheaper.

I bought a couple of Bridgestone Turanza T001's in your size at different times last year and they look about the same price now - around £75 fitted.

Just to come back to this - above tyres are on my daughter's Golf and she got yet another flat yesterday.

Called the trusty indie tyre place I use (Buckley Tyres, North Wales) and straight off they said the price was £69. Exact same tyre.

Sad part is I was only going to replace the punctured tyre but as the fitter walked to the car he noticed the NSR tyre had a slice cut in the sidewall. Scary as it didn't look new and the car had passed MOT at a VW dealer the week before.

So that's all 4 tyres on her car have been replaced before they wore out.

Last edited:
I second Blackcircles, had 2x Dunlop Sportmaxx RT fitted to the volvo 2 weeks ago (225/45/17) for £201 all up.
The C320 has some rather "tyred" looking rubber as well, so I'll be looking to replace that shortly, though I do notice that 245s are considerably more expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom