Tyres do not seem to fit spec. ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

travelininstyle

Car
C-Class Sports Coupe AMG 220 Cdi
:dk: Hello All - I picked up my CLK 220 Cdi last week from MB Stockport and noticed that according to the official booklet,the car should have 205/55 - R16 to the front and 225/50 - R16 to the rear - in actual fact,they have 225/45 to the front and 245/40 - R16 to the rear.According to the booklet,these are normally fitted to the CLK 320/350 & 500 versions:dk:
A couple of questions arise from this - these are marked Continental OM - (Original Mercedes) - but I guess it maybe the one previous owner changed/uprated the alloys from the official 16" to 17" ? - certainly MB Stockport did not say anything.
So,how will fitting these 17" ,over the official 16" affect things like fuel economy,and handling,suspension and even insurance implications ?
Second question - can I fit 16" steel wheels with winter tyres,should I choose to,if the weather dictates ?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
You say 245/40 16. Do you mean 17?

If 17 then the tyre sizes are correct.

May be a little firmer.

You say 245/40 16. Do you mean 17?

If 17 then the tyre sizes are correct.

May be a little firmer.
Sorry - yes,that is what I meant - and having read the full technical manual,it appears as you say,that these are a legitimate option - however,another question has arisen :dk: namely that the spare tyre in the boot is a 16" ????? - will check what type though - surely this will give problems 3 x 17" tyres + one potential fitted spare at 16" ???

As above. It doesn't matter that the spare is a 16. The diameter will be the same (give or take a millimetre or two).

Thank you Gentleman of the forum,as ever,you have answered my questions expertly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom