Tyres down to the canvas

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lynall

MB Enthusiast
Car
The silver one.
Had my car up on the ramp at work about 4 weeks ago, noticed front tyres 2mm above wear indicator on the inside edge but loads more outside edge thought must get tracking done, all over France 1400 miles, walking across the yard last night torch in hand, peek through wheel to see how my new discs are getting on, hand on tyre feels strange look underneath and there was an 1 inch wide band of canvas showing on both tyres:eek:
Ihave always been fussy about tyre car pressures wear etc.

Down tyre shop 1/2 mile away 2 cheapo tyres, up to tracking shop, cant do it sir nuts seized on the steering rack:( back to work up on the ramp again two hammers ten minutes and they are free, now tracking shop busy until next Tuesday typical .

By the way nearside 0.39 degrees neg and offside 0.29 neg.

Previous owner had two new lower ball joints fitted for mot and i assume tracking not checked afterwards.

Was impressed how the cheapo tyres gripped in the wet, hard around roundabouts and it went around instead of running wide as before, mind you these tyres have got one plus point over the old tyres tread :D

Lynall

Well never went back to the tracking shop as contacted wheels in motion uk and Tony came back to me and said almost certainly not tracking issue, either camber or castor is out.

So down to Chesham 90 miles each way realignment done had to have 2 new bolts to make the settings correct.

Def drives better and the twitcheness has gone completely.

Where i had loosened the supposedly seized nuts i took a wild guess at the tracking and according to Tony was nearly spot on:D

Lynall

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom