Tyres for a Sprinter 416CDI 4X4 LWB HR Crew Van

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

planetdrew

Car
Mercedes Sprinter 416CDI 4X4 LWB HR Crew Van
I own a Sprinter 416CDI 4X4 LWB HR Crew Van which has 5" x 15" rims currently shod with 195/70 rubber (twin wheels on the rear).

I want a higher profile tyre & want to know what tyre I can use?

I need to consider:

1. The tallest tyre possible to give good ground clearance & slightly better gearing.
2. It needs to be a common size, so it’s easy to get spares in the future.
3. As well as being tall & common, the tyre also needs to be able to cope with the weight (Approx 3500kg)
4. If the tyre is too big (tall or wide) it might rub on the body or chassis on full lock or on full articulation.
5. As well as all these factors it needs to be a decent tread, like an All Terrain.

Any advice is welcome!

Hi, First question to ask is whether your Sprinter has been down plated or not. 416's should have a GVW of 4600kg, so subject to an Operators Licence, Tacograph and Ministry Checks, and the only tyres that are allowed are those stipulated on the Ministry Plate nailed somewhere in your cabin. If the vehicle has been down plated to 3500kg then the Ministry plate will have been altered and should still show the only tyre sizes allowed. If you have no Ministry Plate, which you should have the tyre sizes allowed are on the Manufacturers plate. When I have an MOT on my 312 the tester always checks the tyre sizes match the load index and speed rating on the plate. Of course you can put what size tyres you like, but if you get stopped by the Police or in a ministry check or even at MOT time then you might be in trouble? Regards Steve
And of course welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
Thanks for advice Steve - the plan is to get it downrated to 3500kg once the inside has finished being converted into a camper. Having it re-registered as a camper, is it still restricted to whatever tyre sizes are stipulated on the plate? Will it still be required to have plate if it has been downrated & is registered as a private camper van??

195/70/15 is the common size for a 5" rim, so stick with that. If you go wider the heat won't dissipate on the double rear.

Good van tyres in that size: Goodyear vector 2 all season, appx £70 each; Vredestein comtrac winter, appx £2 more. Both 104R TL

Hi Planet drew,
Before you embark to much further on this project, I would pay a visit to your local HGV Testing Station and ask to speak to someone there in the technical dept. (white coat man) and discuss the down plating with them.
They are normally very helpful and will then give you chapter and verse on tyres, modifications, what forms you need to fill in and what inspections will be necessary. If I remember correctly, you will have to remove the extra leaf springs on the back axle which will make it sit quite low, and of course you w ill not be physically able to carry so much weight. When I downsized from a 508D (5200kgs) to my 312D (3500kgs) I looked into getting a 412 and down plating it just to get the twin rear wheels. But the gross weight carrying capacity of the 412 was a lot less than a 312.( because it is a heavier vehicle ) so I just got a 312 and beefed up the rear springs.. By the time you have equipped out your camper van you may find yourself very close to the Gross Vehicle Weight which may put the dampers on your project.
A friend of mine used to have a 416 and what a flying machine,used to scream up to 100 in seconds. If you did not know,,, the last 2 numbers denote the Hp of the beast, so a 312 is 120 Hp and your 416 is a desirable 160 Hp. Regards Steve

Thanks Regbuser for the tips on which tyres to get - all good info & will investigate further.

Hi Steve, That is really excellent advice & I will definitely follow up & try & get to see a White Coat Man as you suggest. Other sources say that all this will be academic if I re-register as a private camper van as I will then not be bound by these rules & regs. It certainly seems to be a bit of a minefield of information & opinions & going up to see someone at my local HGV Testing station should put me on the right track. Thanks again!

If re-registered as private, you will not need tacho or replaying to my knowledge.

However, not knowing your age, you must have past your car test before 1/1/97 to be licensed for up to 7.5t (Grandfather Rights) otherwise a LGV licence (C1) will be required to drive over 3.5 t GVW…..the plated weight, not the actual weight of the vehicle. I think the C1 covers up to 7.5t, if memory serves. The DSA (Driving Standards Agency) will have online blurb for licensing if you need it.

So in some respects, you may be better keeping the current plated weight for build purposes but if you plan on pulling a trailer whose weight + Sprinter GVW would exceed 7.5t, you may be better down plating for licensing purposes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom