Tyres for W124

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

darreningram

I have read a few of the older threads but wonder has anyone any updated thoughts on tyre choice. In particular has anyone tried the Dunlop Sport Blue Response? I normally stick with continental but it's hard to argue with better economy and significantly less road noise. Nick has always been a fan of the premium Contact 2 I think.

I'll be looking to Continental next time. I do not think the Michelin standard tyre size for the 124 now a days can cope with an old Benz. Tyres in the 124 size are designed for lightweight shopping hatchs nowdays not big lumbering 124's. I'm on my 7th balance and second set in less than 2000 kms - they just can't cope and neither can the local representation we are forced to deal with in NZL.

I have had the Dunlop on two W124s - lovely quiet, comfortable tyre that suits the chassis perfectly.

I bought a set of original 15"- 15 slot alloys on nearly new Pirelli Tyres, of the correct size and fitment, on here. No problem with that at all.

The ride is akin to having no tyres on!! They are noisy and very hard. On the concrete sections of the M25 you feel like you want to get out and check that the tyres are still there. Yes they are the correct pressure, I have played with the pressure to no effect. I am guessing that this is just the way they are?

They handle well. But the ride is very hard with every bump being transferred through the floor and the steering. I guess that the sidewalls are very stiff.

I have the Blu Response on my 190 - they are very good. Quiet and stop well in the wet.

I will probably fit them to the 211 when the time comes.

I fitted rainsport 3's on my old W210, they performed well but I thought the sidewalls were too soft.

Last edited:
I have rainsports on my 124 and they are ok but it seems they loose traction quite easily (Or maybe I'm too heavy with the right pedal) We had the goodyear equivalent of the Dunlop blue response on another car which I believe share compounds, they are indeed very good in the wet when new and very quiet but they dropped off dramatically when close to the tread wear limit to the point where they were borderline dangerous on anything other than bone dry roads. This also came along after not a lot of mileage as they wore very quickly compared to continentals or Michelins we had previously had on the car.

Thanks for input everyone- I am hoping the current set will last until I get the winter tyres on- I think I will try the Dunlops then in spring- I am torn whether to try the wider tyres or not- they look much better with the car sitting a little lower too but there really seems to be few other pros and maybe a few cons- anyone got any strong views or experience?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom