Tyres in pairs only?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My first job when buying a new vehicle is to have it checked over, front to back by a qualified technician, and then replace the tyres all round. Although I’m in the very lucky position of being involved in a independent garage business, the mileage I travel and the roads I use mean I feel safe to travel. It’s a personal trait, but those black round objects are my first line of defence when/if things get awkward....as they can.
I'm the same. Working with tyres all my life, I'm very picky.
The MX-5 I bought a couple of years ago was basically sound, but showing signs of lack of understanding and cosmetic neglect.
It was also fitted with 4 odd tyres. Worse than that one of them was a Zeta. You don't have to dig very hard to find all sorts of horror stories about these tyres.
I drove the car carefully just 5 miles to the local tyre fitters and had a full set of 'real' tyres fitted before I felt confident to explore the car's handling any further.
The car has turned out to be fine, and has the ability to make you smile each time you turn the steering wheel.

I'm the same. Working with tyres all my life, I'm very picky.
The MX-5 I bought a couple of years ago was basically sound, but showing signs of lack of understanding and cosmetic neglect.
It was also fitted with 4 odd tyres. Worse than that one of them was a Zeta. You don't have to dig very hard to find all sorts of horror stories about these tyres.
I drove the car carefully just 5 miles to the local tyre fitters and had a full set of 'real' tyres fitted before I felt confident to explore the car's handling any further.
The car has turned out to be fine, and has the ability to make you smile each time you turn the steering wheel.
If I had a £5 note for the amount of people that walk in and ask ‘sell part worn’s mate’ (leaving a wonderfully polished expensive vehicle on the forecourt) I’d be a rich guy.
Incredible. WTF 🤪

Well if you consider the cost versus the wear, the savings over a couple of mm are considerable. Particularly where winters are concerned as it's so hard to find good part worn summers.

If I had a £5 note for the amount of people that walk in and ask ‘sell part worn’s mate’ (leaving a wonderfully polished expensive vehicle on the forecourt) I’d be a rich guy.
Incredible. WTF 🤪

They might be traders tarting-up their stock.....?

While we are talking tyres, i did see on a post on here somewhere about the dot on the tryes being fitted by the valve for less balance, the red dot being most important. also seen that on utube, i have a friend who fits tyres and he said no the red dot should be opposite the valve, so i told him he was wrong (i can not help myself). i have just seen him again and he said he had tried that and i was wrong. Humm whats the opinion on here.

My understanding is as follows................

Yellow by valve stem. (Some dots are white and also seen blue).

Red aligned to wheels "low" point.

When both red and yellow dots on tyre with no discernible marking on rim then red mates with valve stem.

When both red and yellow dots on tyre with no discernible marking on rim then red mates with valve stem.
Thats exactly what i have seen on youtube, so to keep a friend i will bite my lip, until i need tyres.

What does a tyre valve weigh? Less than 10 gm? It's not going to make a huge difference where the dot is positioned unless the tyre itself is seriously out of balance, is it?

Bit more of a detailed explanation here. I had no idea about this before. I suspect that most tyre fitters don't know either!

What does a tyre valve weigh? Less than 10 gm? It's not going to make a huge difference where the dot is positioned unless the tyre itself is seriously out of balance, is it?
And that’s if the wheel is perfectly balanced as well.

Incredible. WTF 🤪
Oh yes I know quite a few of the fur coat no knicker mob. Up to their eyeballs bleeding money paying for the leased RR or M3/4 just to show their peer groups.

They are different front and rear, which I think is correct for my my C207 Sport:

Front: 235 / 35 / R19
Rear: 255 / 30 / R19
Hi , I have a C207 and from my experience I have only fitted Contintial 5p.These tyres are no longer made so will have to sort out another brand.

You car has considerable torque so you really do need to put on the best tyres you can afford.

Mercedes suggest that you put four tyres on a once but they love spending your money.

I run my tyres at 33psi so would suggest that is a good starting point.I have the same tyre sizes as your car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom