Tyres in pairs only?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As said, 4 would be ideal. But at least get a pair on the same axle as the one you're replacing.

Stating the obvious here but, you're measuring the depth of a groove, as the groove get shallower it's cos the tyre is getting smaller.
So a wheel on one corner with a new tyre has a total diameter greater than the one on the opposite corner with a worn tyre.

Ideally you wouldn't be rolling with one axle having a wheel with a 4-5mm smaller total diameter. It's going to be (albeit slightly) worse for handling, worse under braking, and both the tyres can wear unevenly then too. A bit like not having even tyre pressure.

Maybe it's not a huge difference, probably if you didn't know you might not even notice.... but it would bother me thinking about it while I'm driving if I did know.
The good tyre on the OP’s car is one I’ve never heard of before but it gets pretty good reviews. They’re £140 each and with them being all that joins the car to the road I wouldn’t want to skimp by just buying one. I would definitely recommend getting a pair for the rear axle. It’s even more important on a big RWD car.

Changing just one tyre now will lead to the same issue some time down the line when again one tyre will need replacing when the other still has thousands of miles left in it.

As mentioned by MJ earlier, I would also recommend a full wheel alignment check before fitting new tyres. For a rear tyre, the worn one does look oddly worn.

The usual culprit for odd tyers is a previous puncture that could not be repaired. If you have 6mm then just buy a replacement for the worn tyre . The difference between 6mm and 8mm (new) will not be noticeable and the two tyres will then come up for replacement pretty much (not quite )at the same time and you can put a new pair on then.
I agree, seems a waste to remove a perfectly good tyre with 6mm on, it may last a couple more years and be perfectly serviceable. If you remove and put it in your garage, you will never use it as unlikely to be same tread wear as the other, (the only reason your replacing it),
If 8mm is new tread then if you follow the same theory you only have 5mm usable life anyway.

Option 1: get one new Fulda Sport Control 2

Option 2: get 2 new Pirelli PZero

Option 3: get 4 new tyres of your chosen make and model.

The above order is:

Price - ascending

Environmental friendliness - descending

Satisfaction factor - ascending

PS - my understanding is that the wheel alignment should be done as soon as the new tyres are fitted (i.e. not with the old tyres) - this is what I have been advised at the time?

PS - my understanding is that the wheel alignment should be done as soon as the new tyres are fitted (i.e. not with the old tyres) - this is what I have been advised at the time?
Good point. My advice to get the alignment done first was definitely wrong. I’d even go as far as saying to instead get the alignment checked after a hundred miles or so to give the new tyres time to settle fully on their rims.

I do agree with 4 wheel alignment if all 4 tyre's are replaced, not as MJ stated earlier with changing 1 tyre as the car was new to him, ive never heard that before, that's only my opinion 😀

OK I have made my decision.

I will get 2 x Pirelli Pzero for the rear to at least make 4 the same tyre. I will ask for the old good tyre and try and sell it on eBay.

I will get 4 point alignment done at same time if the local place with a Hunter alignment rig is the best price for tyres. If not I will get nearest place that can fit new Pirellis at best price and then get alignment done few hundred miles once they have settled.

Main reason going this is as pointed out earlier, I will only be in same situation down the line with one tyre needing replacing before the other so may a well bite the bullet now whilst the front are fairly new.

Thanks for input everyone :)

Option 1 is the best option by far.
Replacing good tyres for no solid reason is unnecessary, something your chosen tyre fitter will no doubt tell you.
When the 2 rears then get near 3mm replace both with P Zero's.

That would be difficult to measure, 2mm less tread would make it handle worse ??
Ideally you wouldn't be rolling with one axle having a wheel with a 4-5mm smaller total diameter. It's going to be (albeit slightly) worse for handling, worse under braking, and both the tyres can wear unevenly then too. A bit like not having even tyre pressure.

I will get 2 x Pirelli Pzero for the rear to at least make 4 the same tyre. I will ask for the old good tyre and try and sell it on eBay.

I will get 4 point alignment done at same time if the local place with a Hunter alignment rig is the best price for tyres. If not I will get nearest place that can fit new Pirellis at best price and then get alignment done few hundred miles once they have settled.

Main reason going this is as pointed out earlier, I will only be in same situation down the line with one tyre needing replacing before the other so may a well bite the bullet now whilst the front are fairly new.

Good decision.

the tyre in question is showing signs of wear to the inner side of the tread to the extent that a faint line delineating the boundary between tread and sidewall/carcass is starting to show----this would be indicative of faulty camber or toe setting on the rear suspension--- best get a 4 wheel alignment done as suggested- best done on new/ almost new tyres on the same axle with matching wear. keep the fulda as a backup and put a new pair on the rear

Good strategy. As you say, unless you see the car in the near future you will have the same issue at some point, JW the need to replace one tyre early - or forever replace one at a time.

Whilst it may not be ideal from a cost perspective, buying good quality new tyres whilst the car is new to you is a good time, as it will help to make the car feel as good as it can be for the duration of your ownership.

Getting them all matching down the line, just before you sell it, is like putting up with suboptimal and then psi’s go it on at it’s best. There’s a saying which I forget now, regarding saving one’s partner for their next.

Enjoy you new car!

PS Don’t wait too long for the alignment check as if there is a probably with alignment then the new tyres will start to wear accordingly. Take it a quick spin sure, but don’t drive hundreds of miles!

Option 1 is the best option by far.
Replacing good tyres for no solid reason is unnecessary, something your chosen tyre fitter will no doubt tell you.
When the 2 rears then get near 3mm replace both with P Zero's.

That would be difficult to measure, 2mm less tread would make it handle worse ??
I agree . 2mm won't make a tosser of difference.

This is the wife's front tyre , no toe or camber issue's i replaced both 20201024 121117 — Postimages]
20201024-121117.jpg
[/url]photo upload free url

Proper decision if you want piece of mind and can afford to do so, but I would have replaced the one and saved the money towards a transmission service, unless already done ?

How much do you seriously think it will make on ebay? He may aswell do a deal against the 2 p zero's he's buying, ie as a part worn.no idiots offering £10 for it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom