Tyres in pairs only?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Best practice is same brand/type of tyre all round, but if not then at least same brand/type on each axle.

FWIW, I hate P-Zeros. They're fine when new, but in the wet have similar grip properties to ketchup on a fried egg when part worn. Personally, I'd put a pair of Conti's or Michelin's on the rear now, and the same brand/type on the front when they need replacing.

Just had a check and the good rear tyre is a Fulda SportControl 2 255/30 R19.

Tread depth is just shy of 6mm. Not sure what the depth is new but I think it shouldn't be far off. Now to see if my local tyre place can get hold of them!

MNdo8yJ.jpg
I’ve had Fulda Sportcontrol 2’s before. Really impressed with them. Very quiet too.

I’ll be putting them on our C Class when the current (rich hard) P Zero run flats are done.

Tyreleader are competitive on Fulda’s too. 👍

Best practice is same brand/type of tyre all round, but if not then at least same brand/type on each axle.

FWIW, I hate P-Zeros. They're fine when new, but in the wet have similar grip properties to ketchup on a fried egg when part worn. Personally, I'd put a pair of Conti's or Michelin's on the rear now, and the same brand/type on the front when they need replacing.
I’ve had Fulda Sportcontrol 2’s before. Really impressed with them. Very quiet too.

I’ll be putting them on our C Class when the current (rich hard) P Zero run flats are done.

Tyreleader are competitive on Fulda’s too. 👍
Oh no !
More food for thought ?
Perhaps buy 4 Fulda's.

Or 4 rotallas ?

Ideally all 4 should be the same but definitely the same across an axle. In the past on my old MB, I had one tyre puncture which couldn't be repaired so I replaced it with a good part worn of similar thread depth. I only buy part worn with no defects or repairs and only if the other tyre is at least 6mm. It was cheap compared to a new tyre and when they eventually needed replacing, I changed them both for new ones

It it advisable to have all four tyres of the same make and model, and similar wear level.

I drive quite a few hire cars.

And a proportion of them (typically older at 1yr + / 15K miles +ones) will have a mix of tyres.

Yet somehow I survive.

So advisable - but I can't get as worried about it now as I used to be for general motoring.

And a proportion of them (typically older at 1yr + / 15K miles +ones) will have a mix of tyres.

Yet somehow I survive.

So advisable - but I can't get as worried about it now as I used to be for general motoring.
In over 50 years of driving I’ve never been involved in an incident where I was saved injury because of wearing a seatbelt or having airbags, but I’m more than reassured by them being there. The same goes for good tyres correctly paired on axles; mostly not essential but could be a lifesaver.

In over 50 years of driving I’ve never been involved in an incident where I was saved injury because of wearing a seatbelt or having airbags, but I’m more than reassured by them being there. The same goes for good tyres correctly paired on axles; mostly not essential but could be a lifesaver.

I think seatbelts are a given. As is modern vehicle structure.

My pragmatic view is a basic set of legal tyres is fine for most purposes.

The things that worry me more these days in the cars I drive?

• - rear visibility - lack thereof and combined with that is lack of over the shoulder vsibility.
  • - driver aids - variation in lane keeping systems and distractions.
  • - DCT / DSG transmission variations affecting the ability to pull out into traffic - particularly combined with start/stop
  • - distractions and touch screens - bad user interfaces - unecessary and useless warnings

The 'driver aid' situation is an odd one. They work reasonably well most of the time. But at others they can confuse a driver as to what is going on and distract. There are also differences in implementayion.

There is a special place in hell for the implementors of the drive fatigue 'take a break' warnings. They are IME useless and worse can be a dangerous distraction.

Some cars seem to think it important to repeatedly tell you the parking sensrs are not working while you are on the motorway (either because of afault or some sort of contaimination). I don't need this every two or three minutes on a busy motorway. Partcularly if it needs to be cancelled in order to get back control of the main dash display.

Lane departure systems are inconsistent. Work most of the time with minor foibles. But not good at the worst moment in difficult conditions where they can serously distract a driver in a demanding situation.

Yet somehow I survive.

The same applies whenever you step into a taxi or an Uber. So yes, it's advisable. Make up your own mind.

I don't subscribe to the virtues of sub optimal car set up and maintenance.

I don't subscribe to the virtues of sub optimal car set up and maintenance.
You're not actually Ron Dennis are you? :dk:
I was talking to a McLaren guy over the weekend when he said he may a have a 'Servicing opportunity' on his Mini. It turned out he thought the head gasket had gone:rolleyes:

I was talking to a McLaren guy over the weekend when he said he may a have a 'Servicing opportunity' on his Mini. It turned out he thought the head gasket had gone:rolleyes:

Close... the name's Rennis, Don Rennis.

Sorry to go OT but curious to know if you’ve had the pleasure of visiting the MTC? We had our name down for the McLaren members tour. They eventually sent us the invitation but our daughter was just a few days old and Mrs Ant was in quite a bad way so we declined.

Unfortunately we never got another chance and I think they’ve since stopped doing the tours.

Sorry to go OT but curious to know if you’ve had the pleasure of visiting the MTC? We had our name down for the McLaren members tour. They eventually sent us the invitation but our daughter was just a few days old and Mrs Ant was in quite a bad way so we declined.

Unfortunately we never got another chance and I think they’ve since stopped doing the tours.
Most of my contact and visits to McLaren were before Ron's Grey Palace was built, but I have been there and it is very impressive.
In a twist of fate, my new next door neighbour is a McLaren production Manager for the road car side.....yeah! I know it's Norfolk!
He is a former Lotus person. Anyone in Norfolk with motorsport connections has inevitably had Lotus connections too
I have no idea about visits now, but the production car facility is joined to the Palace by a tunnel....

Yet somehow I survive.
This is fair comment for the majority of circumstances, and it's fair to say that mixed make tyres will be undetectable in the vast majority of driving situations. However...

The time it can be relevant is when the sh1t has hit the fan and you need every bit of help available to avoid a nasty outcome. That's when you need maximum stability - which you will not get from mismatched tyres. Whether that loss of stability is minor or more serious is dependent on many factors, but minimising the chance of it by having matched tyres across an axle, with similar levels of wear and properly inflated, makes a great deal of sense.

If anyone doesn't believe that, I suggest they deflate one of their tyres - and only one - by (say) 6-8psi and then go out and try a few emergency brake / swerve manoeuvres.

This is fair comment for the majority of circumstances, and it's fair to say that mixed make tyres will be undetectable in the vast majority of driving situations. However...

The time it can be relevant is when the sh1t has hit the fan and you need every bit of help available to avoid a nasty outcome. That's when you need maximum stability - which you will not get from mismatched tyres. Whether that loss of stability is minor or more serious is dependent on many factors, but minimising the chance of it by having matched tyres across an axle, with similar levels of wear and properly inflated, makes a great deal of sense.

If anyone doesn't believe that, I suggest they deflate one of their tyres - and only one - by (say) 6-8psi and then go out and try a few emergency brake / swerve manoeuvres.
Correct!
We will probably never need seat belts, airbags, stability systems and a host of other safety systems. But when we do, we need all the help we can get.
Legend has it that Senna's inbuilt gyros would detect a 1 psi change in tyre pressure and cause a change in the car handling.
I can't, but I have set up enough race cars to know just how much tyre pressures alter corner weights and therefore stability.
Different tyres have a similar effect.
It is a small risk, but one I prefer not to take.

While we are talking tyres, i did see on a post on here somewhere about the dot on the tryes being fitted by the valve for less balance, the red dot being most important. also seen that on utube, i have a friend who fits tyres and he said no the red dot should be opposite the valve, so i told him he was wrong (i can not help myself). i have just seen him again and he said he had tried that and i was wrong. Humm whats the opinion on here.

My first job when buying a new vehicle is to have it checked over, front to back by a qualified technician, and then replace the tyres all round. Although I’m in the very lucky position of being involved in a independent garage business, the mileage I travel and the roads I use mean I feel safe to travel. It’s a personal trait, but those black round objects are my first line of defence when/if things get awkward....as they can.

My first job when buying a new vehicle is to have it checked over, front to back by a qualified technician, and then replace the tyres all round. Although I’m in the very lucky position of being involved in a independent garage business, the mileage I travel and the roads I use mean I feel safe to travel. It’s a personal trait, but those black round objects are my first line of defence when/if things get awkward....as they can.
so whats your view on the dot when fitting tyres?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom