Tyres, quiet but reasonable wear, any recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AbbieCadabra

Car
E350CDI
bit of assistance if possible please guys...

13,000 miles covered in our E350CDI cabrio & new rear tyres (255/35/R18/94Y) will be needed soon. only managed to get 9,500-11,200 miles out of the pirelli's on our old CLK, so quite pleased with 13k on the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT considering that the E350 is bigger/heavier.

the Dunlop have a treadwear rating of 240/68db & i've been looking at Goodyear Eagle F1 Asy at a similar price. goodyear are 2db higher on noise rating, fuel & grip ratings are the same & treadwear is 300.

i'm guessing quiet & long lasting don't really go together as they have to be quite a soft compound? any recommendations for anything else suitable?

thank you! :thumb:

I don't pay much attention to those ratings. I've had quiet and long lasting tyres from Michelin Pilot.

+1 for Michelin, but go for Primacy HP if available in the size you need.

either of you have a rough estimate for mileage on Michelin's?

blackcircle have 2 michelin @ £230-£240 each so about £50-60 more per tyre than Goodyear or Dunlop.

+1 for Michelin, but go for Primacy HP if available in the size you need.

+2. I have covered 18,000 miles on these and still have 4mm left, they are quiet and give good grip in all conditions .

My last set managed about 40,000 miles.

Worth the extra money, imho.

E320cdi - 30k on the fronts when someone smashed into it, probably close to 3mm across the tread, 17k when I changed the rears but this was in my faster years.
I'm sure a gentle right foot could have seen a lot more from them.

I switched to continentals as I got such a good discount on them but they only did 75% of the mileage that the Michelin's got.

just had a look on the Michelin site as there weren't many coming up on the searches i was doing, only the Pilot Sport is available in the size we need (treadwear rating of 320 on the pilot sport 3).

so this is 18k & 40k on rear tyres? i know we got 17k out of pirelli on the front with the CLK.

hmmm, getting a bit confused now! reading a few reviews & it seems 9k is average for the Pilot Sport in the size i'm looking at?? i don't mind paying a premium for longer wear, but not if it's going to be less than we've already had from Dunlop...

Last edited:
I rotate mine and got 40k miles to the set, still with some tread left.

just had a look on the Michelin site as there weren't many coming up on the searches i was doing, only the Pilot Sport is available in the size we need (treadwear rating of 320 on the pilot sport 3).

so this is 18k & 40k on rear tyres? i know we got 17k out of pirelli on the front with the CLK.

Mine have covered 18,000 on the rear.

after a fair bit of dithering (only to be expected for a girlie! :D), i've gone for the Dunlop's again, £160 each fitted.

just didn't want to take a chance on the more expensive Michelin Pilot Sport, they might have lasted a little longer, but i think noise may have been an issue as i do try to go topless as often as possible! :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom