Tyres - sorry! Goodyear Aysmmetric 5

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
They are a popular tyre for some reason. Nearly every car I have bought has come with Pirelli Pzero Rosso tyres which have been noisy and poor in the wet. The tyres on my SL are Bridgestones which are even worse! I cant wait to wear them out.

20-30 years ago, Pirelli were one of the best tyres available but as others have said, things have changed and they live on history. Accepting that they probably make some brilliant bespoke tyres for new supercars, they seem to have forgotten about the mass market and how expectations have grown.

I have ordered the Goodyear 5s so that is a remap, My Genius, new tyres booked in for and the diff to follow!

Pirelli certainly don't have a good reputation on forums.

I think it depends a lot of tread and size/fitment, I deliberately choose Pirelli Pzero tyres on two of my cars, and I find them very good, but they're a single tread and size/fitment, and can't comment on others as I don't have recent experience. I also chose Pirelli's for winter tyres for use on another car, but I've not used them yet.
I’ve got Pirelli P7s on my Golf 225/45/17. Total utter garbage of a tyre shocking wet grip, noisy and tough. I got them for £60 each, bought 4 thinking how bad can they be on a 2.0tdi ...... Terrible is the answer.

The Nexen NFera is actually an original Porsche fitment to Cayennes in some sizes.

Michelins all the way for the C63, need as much grip as possible as mine will light up just joining the motor way from a slip road.

Had Continentals on my old C43 but they were not as good as the Michelins.

I’ve got Pirelli P7s on my Golf 225/45/17. Total utter garbage of a tyre shocking wet grip, noisy and tough. I got them for £60 each, bought 4 thinking how bad can they be on a 2.0tdi ...... Terrible is the answer.

The Nexen NFera is actually an original Porsche fitment to Cayennes in some sizes.
P7 do indeed have a shocking reputation!

I support the Goodyears, I changed from a Pirelli / Conti combo to Goodyear all round and they are way better: super-quiet and perform well. I paid £500 for a full set from my local indie tyre bay but mine are a touch smaller at 245/40 front and 265/35 rear.

P7 do indeed have a shocking reputation!
Had P7 on our SLK (16" rims) and currently have them (18" runflats version) on our C250d. Not had any issues with grip wet or dry.

Went on some 'spirited' drives in the SLK over the moors with the folks from SLKworld, never lost out in the twisty bits.

I think this will always remain an interesting discussion. Clearly there are some tyres which are just cheap and old design which may not be great for modern performance. I do also think there is some brand snoobery (even on my part with my initial views of the Nexens). Clearly a lot of people rave about Michelins and they consistently top league tables, but always seem to be one of the top prices.

I have read a few more bits about Nexens so perhaps they would have sufficed initially but I am sticking with my order for the Goodyear 5s knowing that I have a matching new set of something viewed as very good also.

4 x part worn Nexens for sale from next Friday..... 😂

P7'S on my e55 were blooming awful ! I l love Goodyear's , great tyres

I believe the Dunlop RT2 is the same tyre as the Goodyear F1 Assy3.
Any info to back that up?

I have a tyre dilemma. For a while I have been getting the "check tyre pressure warning" about every 3 weeks.
When washing the car at the weekend I noticed one of the fronts has a small chunk out of the side wall.
The tyre pressure warning relates to one of the rears so on Sunday I dunked it in a drum of water and found 2 leaks. The first is that it is leaking around the valve seating due to alloy corrosion. The second is a tiny cut in the tread near the side wall so not reparable.

All tyres have 5.5mm to 6mm of tread.

Fronts are Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT 235/40 R18 91Y
Rears are Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 255/35 R18 94Y

So, I'm looking at wheel refurb to fix the corrosion around the valve seating ( they are all a bit shabby now).
But I'm at a bit of a loss with what to do with the tyres.
Best of the mid range come in at around £300 for a set.
If I go for new Dunlops on the front & new Goodyears on the rear the price is around £390 but I could keep 1 front & 1 rear as spares. Only slight issue with this is that the new Goodyears would be Asy 5 rather than the Asy 3 I have.

I'm going round in circles with this and i'm finding making a decision varies by the hour.

Any comments would be appreciated.

PS - Don't do many miles in it. Rarely wear out a set of tyres, they usually die from punctures or side wall damage (live on an unmade road with plenty of potholes)

Which is why car forum's are a silly place to get the best accurate info on tyres .

The OP has midrange tyres , not budget , and they would probably out perform some Premium makes that somehow rely on their brand status .

A few people here have had this tyre and that..

Here the reviews about one particular tyre can be in the hundreds..

Which is why car forum's are a silly place to get the best accurate info on tyres .

The OP has midrange tyres , not budget , and they would probably out perform some Premium makes that somehow rely on their brand status .

A few people here have had this tyre and that..

Here the reviews about one particular tyre can be in the hundreds..

To be fair, I had read plenty of reviews for the Nexens (which I have now removed) and the Goodyears, albeit not as many for the new 5s. My main ask was any specific views on the 5s on a C63 AMG as some cars can be really fickle about tyre choice. The Nexens were ok (despite a massive variety of reviews from "ditch-finder" to "best budget available") but the Goodyear 5s have made a massive difference - on a par with Michelin PSs I have had on other big power RWD cars.

So if helpful for future forum browsers, Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric 5s are an excellent choice for this car! :)

Any info to back that up?

I have a tyre dilemma. For a while I have been getting the "check tyre pressure warning" about every 3 weeks.
When washing the car at the weekend I noticed one of the fronts has a small chunk out of the side wall.
The tyre pressure warning relates to one of the rears so on Sunday I dunked it in a drum of water and found 2 leaks. The first is that it is leaking around the valve seating due to alloy corrosion. The second is a tiny cut in the tread near the side wall so not reparable.

All tyres have 5.5mm to 6mm of tread.

Fronts are Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT 235/40 R18 91Y
Rears are Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 255/35 R18 94Y

So, I'm looking at wheel refurb to fix the corrosion around the valve seating ( they are all a bit shabby now).
But I'm at a bit of a loss with what to do with the tyres.
Best of the mid range come in at around £300 for a set.
If I go for new Dunlops on the front & new Goodyears on the rear the price is around £390 but I could keep 1 front & 1 rear as spares. Only slight issue with this is that the new Goodyears would be Asy 5 rather than the Asy 3 I have.

I'm going round in circles with this and i'm finding making a decision varies by the hour.

Any comments would be appreciated.

PS - Don't do many miles in it. Rarely wear out a set of tyres, they usually die from punctures or side wall damage (live on an unmade road with plenty of potholes)
Well............
Couldn't find any Goodyear Asy 3's so I've decided to go for Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT's all round. That gives me a spare front to use in the future if necessary and an unmatched emergency spare for the rear.
The only other option I was tempted by was a full set of Avon ZV7's which would have been £60 cheaper than the Dunlops but wouldn't have given me the matching front spare.
If it helps, best prices I found were on TyreLeader.co.uk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom