Tyres. What would you do

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Felstmiester

MB Enthusiast
Car
Range rover sport
If you had a irreparable tyre go on the rear of your car but the other good tyre was around 6mm tread left. Would you just replace with one new matching tyre or get a pair??

I like matched pairs, for lots of reasons that my mind tells me are very important - but at 6mm, I'd replace just the one side.

Sometimes common sense has to prevail.

I like matched pairs, for lots of reasons that my mind tells me are very important - but at 6mm, I'd replace just the one side.

Sometimes common sense has to prevail.

There dunlop sportmaxx. Know it sounds stupid but I like the look of them.

There dunlop sportmaxx. Know it sounds stupid but I like the look of them.

I get that completely - I'm the same - I wouldn't mix the brand - I'd buy another Dunlop, but one, not two.

I get that completely - I'm the same - I wouldn't mix the brand - I'd buy another Dunlop, but one, not two.

So would I. 6mm is almost new anyway. 5mm or less I'd get a pair.

At 6mm I'd buy another one matched. It's about a months worth of wear :p

Your question has been answered.

Listen to Uncle Developer.

I'd take the car to a car park and burn both tyres out.

I'd take the car to a car park and burn both tyres out.
That's just plain despicable enjoyable behaviour.

If you had a irreparable tyre go on the rear of your car but the other good tyre was around 6mm tread left. Would you just replace with one new matching tyre or get a pair??

Get the pair... Not worth the hassle...

That depends. In my case (205/55 R16) premium tyres are dirt cheap - a top-notch Conti MO can be had for £50-£60, and decent quality Dunlops or Pirellis for £40 - so not getting a new tyre and keeping both the same is false economy.

But when you get to exotic tyre sizes and into the 3-figure cost realm, I can see the logic in pairing a new 8mm tyre with a used 6mm tyre.

Normally I'd do exactly the same, but tyres are relatively cheap at the moment and the combination of falling Sterling and rising oil prices means that will soon come to an end. So...

If I intended to keep the car I'd replace the pair and keep the part worn one as a spare that I could use if I was unfortunate enough to get another one damaged, knowing that I could always sell the part worn one on fleabay at any time.

If I thought I might move the car on in the next 5k miles or so, it'd replace just the one I had to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom