Tyres with kerb strips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Real Merc Man

Car
Mercedes W213 E350d AMG Line Premium Plus
Hi,
I have 18" Alloys and worried about kerb scuffing any tried some of the tyres that have a small kerb strip on them and if so do they help or will I be wasting my money on them.

Many thanks in advance

I have got kerb strips on my tyres and they were quite cheap, so as far as I can see they cost no more, just choose them.

one prob i can see with this product water being trapped under the protector and the lacquer spider cracking

but not a bad idea

if the right tyre is fitted to rim you should be ok most cars dont they go for look more then function

The rim protection fitted to tyres while offering some protection against kerb damage, is primarily there to stop stone chips etc on the alloy wheel edge. Anything other than the slightest graze against a kerb will damage your alloy despite having rim protection on the tyres. They are not really very good at stopping kerb damage as the tyre is just pushed back allowing the wheel rim to touch the kerb.

Russ

Do not fit them

The tyre must seal correctly to the alloy wheel at all times (just think why they are not fitted to new cars from the factory !)

If you mean sidewall protectors which let the rubber of the tyre protrude past the alloy then most tyres over 225 have the feature.

Having said that, here's a really bad example of a wheel tyre combination where the wheel protrudes past the tyre - I'd hate to park this car every day:

16122010059.jpg

I wish my Michelins had kerb strip, I've had my wheels refurbed and fitted with Michelin 195/55/15 vr tyres in May and had the nsf wheel refurbed twice since due to clipping a kerb when trying to park without clipping a kerb :wallbash:

Last edited:
Had a 7 series E65 BMW with 20inch alloys which looked very much like the picture above. Parking next to kerbs was not my favourite thing...

When I sold it the dealer said they pretty much always allow for each wheel needing a refub on those.

low profile wheels/tyres are stupid things in my book, Not practical, comfortable or cheap. The rest of the world are happy to use 16" rims with a 60+ aspect ratio. Why or why they are not fitted over here esp with the potholes in our roads is beyond me.

Low profile wheels <50% should be saved for museum pieces or trackday cars only !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom