Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

effy37

Car
C63s saloon
What make of tyres does the majority of you run on the rear of your C63, when I bought it the 2 x rears were newish Dunlops, I've always had MPSS on my M cars, I just can't seem to get to a confidence level with these Dunlops, when I open the taps, but it's a case of do I wear them down a bit before replacing them or spend money now?

A lot of us use Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's all round. Mine took a few hundred miles to bed in but are really great now.

What make of tyres does the majority of you run on the rear of your C63, when I bought it the 2 x rears were newish Dunlops, I've always had MPSS on my M cars, I just can't seem to get to a confidence level with these Dunlops, when I open the taps, but it's a case of do I wear them down a bit before replacing them or spend money now?
No C63 , but always Continental , on everything from Ponton , through 114/5 , three 190Es numerous 123/4s , three generations of S Class and one SL .

I have tried other makes , but always come back to Contis .

Goodyear Eagle asyms
I put a pair of Goodyear Eagles on my SL , plus one on the spare , but within 6 months both rear tyres had developed bulges on the inner sidewalls , picked up by MOT tester - back to Contis .

Contis are quite noisy, though.

Goodyear F1s for me on my E350 CDi saloon.

I have 18" Pirelli P7 MOE on the C250d. Not everyone's favourite, but they have been fine so far.

Our MX-5 has Goodyear Eagle F1 Assy 5 which are night and day better than the Bridgestone Potenza RE050a that they replaced.

Our Golf TDI has been wearing Continental Eco Contact 5 or 6 for years. They too seem OK. The last pair I changed were just getting old. One of them had a repairable puncture, but it was time to put some new ones on.

F1’s or MPS4S’s are the top choice for these

Personally I’m running the Michelin’s and I couldn’t be happier with them

Yes I had the MPSS one my M3 M4 & M5 I was more than happy with them.....but these are as new so will wear them down then change back to MPSS

Yes I had the MPSS one my M3 M4 & M5 I was more than happy with them.....but these are as new so will wear them down then change back to MPSS

just to be clear, MPSS’s are different to the superior MPS4S’s

I put a pair of Goodyear Eagles on my SL , plus one on the spare , but within 6 months both rear tyres had developed bulges on the inner sidewalls , picked up by MOT tester - back to Contis .

This happened on my alloys (oversized 19" inherited when I purchased the car) and the tyre man was just telling me that he didn't recommend these for this very reason and then upon inspection, low and behold!

When I mentioned this on the other MB forum, at least three members had experienced. Considering that this was a single chat thread, that was quite a frequency, in my view.

I think that it was down to using non-European spec tyres. However, I shall not be investing my money in these in future.

Reactions: 219
I see Rotellas are being recommended by some V8 owners and other sages on the forum

You've been around long enough to have learned to read complete threads, I would have thought...

You've been around long enough to have learned to read complete threads, I would have thought...

Then I, like almost everyone else, would not have replied to your OP ;)

Has anybody on here had them on a big Mercedes, and if so, how did you find them?

This happened on my alloys (oversized 19" inherited when I purchased the car) and the tyre man was just telling me that he didn't recommend these for this very reason and then upon inspection, low and behold!

When I mentioned this on the other MB forum, at least three members had experienced. Considering that this was a single chat thread, that was quite a frequency, in my view.

I think that it was down to using non-European spec tyres. However, I shall not be investing my money in these in future.
I dont think you can dismiss one brand of tyre so easily unless you have had the same issue over all iterations of the tyre. The Goodyear Eagle F1's have moved on now so what someone experienced with say an AS2 is no longer valid for an AS5. Same with other brands of tyre too. The respected tyrereviews.co.uk website put the GY AS5 on a par with the Michelin PS4s yet is a 30% cheaper tyre on average. My Audi S5 has the AS3 on the front and next week will have AS5 on the rear.

Then I, like almost everyone else, would not have replied to your OP ;)

If you had read the complete thread Rotalla thread, you would have been able to give an informed opinion... ;) ;)

As did (almost - see post 22 in that thread) all the other contributors.

:doh:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom