UCI (Media Interface) Retrofit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gistek

Car
CLK63 AMG, C36 AMG, C43 AMG, 300CE W124
I have just purchased and took delivery of a UCI or Media Interface Kit for my W211 E Class, purchased from Comand online of course. I have found the Mercupgrades guide based on the W204 C Class, and i want to know is the process described identical to the installation on my car, is their a better guide. Any input and help would be much appreciated.
FYI, i have the NTG2.5 Head Unit.

Kind Regards,
Christian

Attachments

• UCI KIT.jpg
    UCI KIT.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 74
Its pretty much identical, but some of the connectors change (the video cable that plugs into the back of the COMAND), and unless your W211 is MY09 onwards, you'll have to cut a hole for the glovebox connector. (MY09 onward is when it became a factory option)

Richard

Thanks Richard,
Ok so if i follow the guide and use my intuition i should not have any problems. My main concern is for power, where does it get it from? My car is a 2004 model with a retrofitted NTG2.5 Unit, so i will have to make some cuts but that's ok with me!

Thanks Again,
Christian

Hi
It needs a 7.5amp fused feed, but in reality uses very small amounts of current (under 1amp even when charging a iPhone). At the end of the dashboard under the end cover is a fuse box. Tap into a suitably fused supply there. Feed is permanent, as are all feeds in that fuse box
R

Thanks again Richard,
So cut and splice it into a 7.5amp fuse line?
Will post results as soon as the install process is done!
This will be fun!

Kind Regards,
Christian

Yup, Dont forget the COMAND will need coding if you don't already have the Media Interface menu under Audio.

We always strip/solder/insulate connections.

Richard

Luckily my unit is precoded with the options as it's visible under audio :)! Thank you for your advice that was my plan also, factory look is my motto!
Thank you so much for your help!
You have made this retrofit a little easier for me!

So the unit is in, but when I went to splice into the power I located what I was told A 7.5amp fuse, my old 6 stacker CD player, which uses a red wire! What do I do with the blue/black wire?

Please help I want this done for tomorrow!!

Kind Regards,
Christian

Attachments

• image-3322248471.jpg
    image-3322248471.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 51
Just to add, where does the brown, earth wire connect?

Aha

As you have an old CD changer power lead, it has 3 wires

brown (ground)
red (poss red and another colour) +12v
pink - wakeup

Connect the brown to the brown, the power to the power, and the blue wakeup lead on the new wiring to the pink.

If you can't find the CD power lead, then connect the brown to a suitable earth point, and the blue wakeup lead as described in the W204/W212 instructions on mercupgrades.com

Richard

Thanks Richard,
Ok so the lead Is the one behind the ashtray! I have seen those, I will try that and come back with the results!
So now I don't have to splice the connector behind the fuse box?

Thanks Richard,
Ok so the lead Is the one behind the ashtray! I have seen those, I will try that and come back with the results!
So now I don't have to splice the connector behind the fuse box?

Yup - I didn't know you had a CDC before, that CDC power lead has all the cables you need and is fused perfectly.

You may have to change one of the fibre end connectors to plug the fibres in (new smaller connector was with the kit) - look at the little arrows on the connectors to make sure you get it all the right way round, and don't forget to remove the little blue locking plastic part before releasing the other little clip that hold the fibre in place.

Cheers

Richard

Thanks so much Richard, it's up and working with no issues, thank you so much for your help!

Many Thanks,
Christian

Just a pic of the final product! Looks factory!

Christian

Attachments

• image-815635021.jpg
    image-815635021.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 80
hello, i am also retrofitting media interface.

Can someone tell the 8pin connector part number (red circle in the picture) ? also in need of the uci box connector pin outs so i can plug the wiring (+12v, ground and wakeup) to correct place in 8pin connector. Thanks :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom