UCI - Universal Customer Interface aka SL65 ipod.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

miro

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 slightly modified
Mercedes Benz has launched the much delayed UCI module. This hardware is designed for the MOST bus which has been used in cars since 2002, with the E-Class as the first variant. This range includes SL R230, CL W215, and S W220 which have seemingly been left out of the iPod craze.

In 2008 all PKW (passenger cars) use MOST optical bus for ICE (in car entertainment) including some vans and 4x4. MOST bus is now the most common technology platform in European cars and includes all German car makers.

The new UCI module was delayed due to development problems but now boasts universal access to a USB port in every Mercedes model with MOST bus. The USB device offers both data download and power for USB driven devices. Anything from iPOD, generic MP3 player and phones will be supported. It also opens the door for future MP4 players able to support movie formats (once copy protection over MOST is ratified into production samples).

Retrofit kits will commence shipping shortly with broad model coverage. Parts sharing among the leading car-makers means that it is likely to also find its way into Porsche, BMW and Mini.

Third party developers such as Dietz and IceLink have been offering various modules between 2004-2008 in an effort to satisfy the market demand for audio input on the flagship models.

Miro

Do you know whether this will work with all MOST cars, or will need the new MY2009 type COMAND systems that are coming

(i.e. head unit has software support for it)

I have realised that the cable set I have (which consists of a 3.5mm, a USB and a iPod cable) is for the UCI (option 518 I think)

Richard

Given that you say W215/W220 I guess it can be connected to older cars, and I presume it pretends to be the CD changer ..

Richard

I think that's how it work's Richard.

Don't mean to nitpick here but its the Universal Consumer Interface, as in you can connect many different consumers to it.

Yup, I have now seen further info :) Its for MY2009 facelifted cars - i.e there is software support for it in the head units.

• A-Klasse Modellpflege (W/C169 Mopf)
• B-Klasse Modellpflege (W245 Mopf)
• CLS-Klasse Modellpflege (C219 Mopf)
• E-Klasse ab Modelljahr 2009 (W/S211 ab Code 809)
• GL-Klasse ab Modelljahr 2009 (X164 ab Code 809)
• M-Klasse Modellpflege (W164 Mopf)
• R-Klasse ab Modelljahr 2009 (W251 ab Code 809)
• SLK-Klasse Modellpflege (R171 Mopf)

Note the list doesn't include the W204 ..

It was this statement "This range includes SL R230, CL W215, and S W220 which have seemingly been left out of the iPod craze. " that led me to beleive it may go into older MOST cars as-well as newer ones (and thus it would have to look like a CD changer)

Richard

I know it has its own Media Interface option on the headunit's in the facelift car's

Is that because of the UMI option for that model? Or am I missing summat?

I suspect its because they are already out there, whereas the 09 isnt - and thus software in the head-unit doesnt support it

R

Are you refering to the 09MY's Richard?

They are the current year, take the facelift SLK for example.

Are you refering to the 09MY's Richard?

They are the current year, take the facelift SLK for example.

Yes, I think thats what the list in my post above matches to. MY09 will just be arriving with us I guess

R

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom