UGHH can someone help? Stain on dash.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jadefox

Car
GLA AMG 220 CDI
I had an air freshener in the car, it was one of those Ambipur ones - the little glass vial of perfume in a holder, my daughter accidentally kicked it off, but without telling me had replaced it (she's only 5) but put it upside down. :rolleyes:

By the time I looked, it was too late and the darn thing has poured the liquid perfume down the glove compartment door :( It has stained it with a long streak of the stuff. It looks like it's kind of eaten into the plastic slightly, so there's this constant 'wet look' splash mark running the entire door - is there ANYTHING I can use to get it off or at least make it look better?

I tried to clean it with a detergent (just neat fairy) but when it dried it's still there - any ideas??

Try one of the cockpit detailing sprays, Maguiares is good

If it has a wet look stain, it would suggest there might be some type of lacqure in the perfume liquid. As far as I know the dash on most cars is vinyl and is very hard to clean and easy to stain. Don’t use any abrasive cleaners, petrol or nail varnish remover (which is cellulose paint thinner)

I would try to soak for a minute, where possible in fairly warm water and dry off, if that doesn’t work try white spirits, FIRST IN A SMALLL HIDDEN AREA in the foot well to see what it dose to the vinyl, if indeed it is vinyl?

Unfortunately if the white spirits can dissolves the stain it can also dilute it, spread it, and make the damage look much worse, try a tiny hidden bit of the stain first and let it dry completely.

Failing that you could call the manufacturer of the product and explain what happened, the will know what may work.

Dec

Maybe try with something like washing up liquid first, and see how you get on with it. Then go on to the harsher stuff.

Thanks guys will try to photo it tomorrow and put that up - and hadn't thought to phone the manufacturer, I may give that a go too.

OK, managed to get a piccy, but only tonight because I was out all day and there was a lot of snow. :eek: So it therefore had to be with a flash, so it's not great.

...Confession time.... I fear I my hubby may have added "slight scuffing" to the problem now with a little over-zealous rubbing!! :crazy:

Attachments

• Marked Dash.jpg
    Marked Dash.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 131
If its now worse, its either replace from a breaker or try a vinyl restorer/cleaner or coloured car polish, there is nothing else

If its now worse, its either replace from a breaker or try a vinyl restorer/cleaner or coloured car polish, there is nothing else

I'm hoping the scuffing can be removed with a polish of some kind then it might not look too bad. I think using a JPG picture has made the very bottom part look worse than it probably actually is.

If I just can't live with it, I'm not sure the chances of finding this at a breakers?? :confused: Although is it completely unrealistic to think of gettting a replacement part from Mercedes:confused:

I'm hoping the scuffing can be removed with a polish of some kind then it might not look too bad. I think using a JPG picture has made the very bottom part look worse than it probably actually is.

If I just can't live with it, I'm not sure the chances of finding this at a breakers?? :confused: Although is it completely unrealistic to think of gettting a replacement part from Mercedes:confused:

Really there is little that you can do, but they are at the breakers "mercman" & "dronsfield"

The trouble is that you will always see it no matter what though you could improve it a touch, the scent had purfume in it and this does attack these surfaces.

I can give you the fitting instruction if you choose to do it yourself

If I were to go down the replacement route, is there any particular colour that I can/need to quote? I've had a look and there doesn't seem to be any colour codes for interior vinyl's? Though I'm sure they must vary :confused::eek:

If I were to go down the replacement route, is there any particular colour that I can/need to quote? I've had a look and there doesn't seem to be any colour codes for interior vinyl's? Though I'm sure they must vary :confused::eek:

If your car is before 2006 then put your VIN number into the link and it should say what it is
http://old.mbclub.ru/mb/vin/?lng=eng

Thats all 17 figures and numbers

Most of these air freshners have an essential oil based perfume. That's probably what the "wet look" is. With nothing to loose I would try some neat alcohol (ethanol), you can get it from a pharmacy. Don't use "rubbing alcohol" as that has more additives. Probably meths (methylated spirits) would be a good substitute.
If it does remove the oil it will certainly remove the sheen as well but I think a go with cockpit spray should restore it.

A replacement glove box door shouldn't be difficult to source

Was the VIN number exact as I do not get the colour of the seats either it is wrong, and you do not get them with a blue inside

Confused me with the mixed up post then..... But for the above - my interior (dash) is a black/grey, not a blue.

Double checked the VIN number - so that still doesn't explain the Parktronic mystery!

There is no trim colour info in the VIN

Colour codes for interior parts are derived from the interior code that is associated with the VIN. The colour codes are given in the footnotes for affected parts, along with the interior codes to which they apply.

On the Detali site it is extremely difficult to see what is going on in the tables in the footnotes because the columns don't line up properly.

Edit: The colour code associated with interior code 221A is 9E23 - "black".

Last edited:
I've checked my VIN on EPC and it gives two options for the glove box lid. Both those option carry multiple options for colour codes.
How do I identify which is correct for my car?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom