UK 3rd Most Expensive Fuel in the World...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
List would have been better if all prices quoted were current, some are over 2 years old. Good indication nonetheless though.

I would like to see the amount of tax that has gone to the goverment on each receipt. I think it would be illuminating.

I would like to see the amount of tax that has gone to the goverment on each receipt. I think it would be illuminating.

Do people really care? What when they buy a £3000 television...how much of that is tax and does it stop the purchase...no..!

Government needs to suck-in as much money as it can from the public.

Fuel Duty, Tobacco Duty, Alcohol Duty, VAT, VED / Road Tax, Insurance Tax, Inheritance Tax, Income Tax, NI Contributions, Stamp Duty, Toll Roads, and the list goes on...

Then there's local government with Business Rates and Council Tax, Parking Permit, Parking charges, Congestion Charge....

Makes you wonder what do they actually do with all this money? And how come we still owe so much?

Government needs to suck-in as much money as it can from the public.

Fuel Duty, Tobacco Duty, Alcohol Duty, VAT, VED / Road Tax, Insurance Tax, Inheritance Tax, Income Tax, NI Contributions, Stamp Duty, Toll Roads, and the list goes on...

Then there's local government with Business Rates and Council Tax, Parking Permit, Parking charges, Congestion Charge....

Makes you wonder what do they actually do with all this money? And how come we still owe so much?

They buy shares in dodgy banks, line there own pockets with expenses and sort themselves out a nice "little" pension plan. Whilst kissing **** to large businesses so they can get a nice 3 day a year £100k consultancy job when they've finished screwing the general populace.:thumb::rolleyes:

Don't forget leaving our boys in foreign fields with only a knife and fork to defend themselves^

They buy shares in dodgy banks, line there own pockets with expenses and sort themselves out a nice "little" pension plan. Whilst kissing **** to large businesses so they can get a nice 3 day a year £100k consultancy job when they've finished screwing the general populace.:thumb::rolleyes:

Aha - that's alright then.

:D

Don't forget leaving our boys in foreign fields with only a knife and fork to defend themselves^

:doh: How could I have forgotten that especially as number 1 son is joining the Army in August. It's going to cost me a fortune in kit, body armour, boots, uniform, decent rifle etc. etc.:crazy:

:doh: How could I have forgotten that especially as number 1 son is joining the Army in August. It's going to cost me a fortune in kit, body armour, boots, uniform, decent rifle etc. etc.:crazy:

Not a good idea - if you actually get him a rifle he will be the odd one out and picked-on by his mates... :D

On a serious note, best of luck to your son and you should be proud of him (which you probably are anyway...) :thumb:

Last edited:
Not a good idea - if you actually get him a rifle he will be the odd one out and picked-on by his mates... :D

On a serious note, best of luck to your son and you should be proud of him (which you probably are anyway...) :thumb:

Thanks and yes very proud, top of his intake on all things physical, praised for his leadership and to top it all following in his old man's footsteps too.:D His mum isn't too happy about it though, she'd rather he became a hairdresser or a politician :eek:.
You may have a point about the rifle though, thoughts on a Black Widow catapult and some ball bearings?:D

Its only going one way, up! its become outrageous especially for the old girls that are heavy on the fuel consumption!

Do people really care? What when they buy a £3000 television...how much of that is tax and does it stop the purchase...no..!

On a £3000 TV 20% goes the government.

On a £100 fill up 50% or more goes. You fill your car up a lot more than you buy TVs etc

There is a big difference. Fuel is needed, a £3000 TV is a luxury. Personally I think the TVs should be taxed like the way the fuel is, and the fuel duty relaxed.

It would give joe public a break and encourage families to get off their back sides rather than be fat and brain dead rotting in front of their new toy.

:doh: We are number 1 on all taxes...

Maybe close to the top on fuel tax but I know a few other nationalities who might argue the point on ALL taxes.:) Read this, UK was (February 2010) one of the lowest taxed in European developed nations. But if you want good living standards and low tax then Switzerland is apparently the place to be.:D

I think it depends what you classify as 'taxes'.

I was referring to indirect taxation as well, not just Income Tax / NI/ Council Tax etc.

Of course if you don't smoke, don't drink, don't drive (so no VED / Insurance Tax / Parking Charges / Resident Parking Permit / Congestion Charge / Toll Roads / Fuel Duty+VAT), never go to a restaurant (i.e. only buy VAT-exempt food at shops), never insure anything (thus avoiding Insurance Tax), do not own a TV set, then you will not pay the government anything other than the three taxes mentioned above...

Also... We have a combination of 40% Inheritance Tax (over 300k), 50% marginal Income Tax, and 20% VAT - I think these three figures alone are at the top tier, can't think of any country that has higher rates than these? So how can we be amongst the lowest overall?

Don`t complain chap`s as it could be much worse
Look at my home country for example,but don`t look at the figures on the link as they`re from 08
The price of fuel there is not far behind UK,but you`ll have to consider that a good wage and I mean good one is about 10 pounds a day

As for tax,go see how much the road tax cost for a 3l car in Ireland

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom