UK based CV/ Drive Shaft Rebuilding Service?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Screwdriver

An American company called CV Source has earned a really good reputation on the US forums for rebuilding older Mercedes drive shafts. Do we have an equivalent in the UK?

Not in UK , but I bought driveshafts from this chap in Germany who refurbished them himself . His name is Mirko Wittig .

You could ask if he would refurbish your shafts . Here’s a link to one I bought , in the listing he describes his process . In English after the German text . I always found him extremely helpful .

His email is : [email protected]

Posting to this US business via UPS was < £50 so I may give it a try. I was encouraged when I received this note from Jon, the proprietor.

"Based on the pictures those boots have been changed once with Meistersatz or more likely Lemforder boot kits. Lemforder is the Tier 1 OEM supplier to Mercedes for axle hardware on these Weiss axles. They assembled the OEM boot kits for the dealers. The screw clamps are a giveaway. Granted there is surface rust, but there is nothing I am going to check without a full teardown and cleaning of the axles because the two o-rings in each can are not serviceable until the joint is cut apart and of course then re-crimped with a replacement cap. When the boots come off the caps I may find the lip of the cap underneath is eaten away from where the salt gets under. Our Northern state salt-belt customers have this issue. If the cap lips are not sufficient to reseal or support a new boot then the cap has to be cut off and replaced which falls into full rebuild labor wise. At the cost of 75USD each I will only be separating the ends and replacing the boots with fresh grease packed in.

We have been rebuilding this particular axle for 27 years when I learned how and trained others. At the beginning I built the first 3000-4000 units before handing it off, but still remained a part of it. I am back to rebuilding them the last 10+ years of my 33 years rebuilding and have seen some pretty bad axles as time marches on. I am glad you have no symptoms. I am just mentioning I quote based on what I can see and what I know. Surprises cost more. The kits you have may have boots, clamps, & grease or boots, clamps, grease, 2 o-rings, 1 can , and 1 cap. If it's the latter that is used for a full rebuild of one end which is the most labor intensive and requires the crimping fixture I use. If you want the axles rebuilt that way the cost would be 145USD each taking into account for your parts supplied which we have all of on hand. They would be blasted and painted as the pictures show in our Google Business photos. Additionally we would repair any wear using our TIG process which has proven well. There's just no other way to explain it. These are very difficult labor intensive axles to rebuild fully. Changing boots is one thing, rebuilding them is another and we know the procedure better than anyone. Specific costing with these and using customer supplied parts is like any repair shop, there is always some hidden issue you are responsible for as the builder and held to the quote you give.

We are a small shop now with 2 employees. I am the remaining family member and my employee has been with me 27 years. China has ruined our business starting from nothing and grown to over 40 employees and satellite warehouses around the SE USA just 15 years ago."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom