UK Border Agency Gets Tough

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It is harsh yes and for your info,I travelled a few countrys before deciding to settle here :thumb:

Why did I do that,so my kids can have a better life and better future ahead

What makes you think your kids can have a better life and a better future in the UK?

I have yet to be convinced the UKBA is that much better - but it couldn't be worse. Now we pay through the nose if we need to get her passport updated. Judging by the way they handles things there is a bit more gracefulness when things are not quite right - but I'm deeply suspicious that their IT and backoffice process hasn't actually improved much in 20 years.
My latest dealings with UKBA don't show them in a good light. When my wife's niece applied for a UK family visitor visa last year their office in Beijing refused it on the grounds that she didn't have enough money to cover her stay - despite my invitation letter saying we'd pay for everything and accompanied by bank statements and other evidence to prove it. And they said that she couldn't appeal, despite the rejection form saying quite clearly that refused family visitor applications could be appealed against. They clearly hadn't read most of the information presented to them. The British Ambassador said she couldn't help, but the appeal court here in the UK eventually got it sorted OK. The main disappointment was that the long delays meant our niece wasn't able to get here in time for Christmas, the main reason for her coming. :wallbash:

What makes you think your kids can have a better life and a better future in the UK?
Despite all the doom and gloom preached by far too many in this country, we're far better off than most places, with more opportunities for those who are prepared to work hard.

IND - that's a blast from the past! IND and UKIS vanished a long time ago with the introduction of the Border & Immigration Agency. That was then merged with the border control functions of HM Revenue & Customs and UK Visas to form the UK Border Agency. UKBA still exists today, but now all border control functions have been separated again and are performed by Border Force (which is part of the Home Office and not the UKBA).

Confusing eh?

Third new uniform on its way too....

Why did you come to work here for 3 months or so and left your family behind?

May sound harsh but all in all I'd rather he wasn't here at all.

I wonder how many countries he travelled through not requesting asylum before he ended up here claiming it?

It is harsh yes and for your info,I travelled a few countrys before deciding to settle here :thumb:

Why did I do that,so my kids can have a better life and better future ahead

So did I, I went through official channels however. To not do so gives us immigrants a bad rep I think.

The natives aren't keen on it you know!

So looks like those extortionate processing charges are going to get hiked again .....
Currently £78 for a visa application. If (or unfortunately, when) they get it wrong and you submit an appeal that'll cost an additional £80 - £140, some or all of which you MAY get back if you can prove that the UKBA got it all wrong. And we complain about the visa fees for some other countries!!

Currently £78 for a visa application. If (or unfortunately, when) they get it wrong and you submit an appeal that'll cost an additional £80 - £140, some or all of which you MAY get back if you can prove that the UKBA got it all wrong. And we complain about the visa fees for some other countries!!

Charge to transfer visa to new passport.

£220 by post. £661 in person.

Shocking. Just to transcribe some details and tap a few details into a computer.

Charge to transfer visa to new passport.

£220 by post. £661 in person.

Shocking. Just to transcribe some details and tap a few details into a computer.

Can't transfer conditions on the desk at the airport any more either - the ink stamps to do so have been removed and destroyed. Only other option is to carry two passports with you, as the visa is still valid even if the passport has expired. An annoying but cheaper alternative that a lot of lorry drivers resort to - often they'll have 2/3 passports stapled together.

Different people - different experiences.
I tied the knot with my better Russian half in 1995. Fiance Visa. Registry Office in UK.
Moscow Embassy were very helpful.
1996 Russian wedding in a proper orthodox church in Moscow in February (freezing!)
Then in 1998 settlement visa. Being married already 3 years helped immensely.
Again Moscow Embassy very helpful.
One year later ILR via Croydon IND (horrendous queues).
Five years later Naturalisation (they spelt the name wrong)
Luckily whilst attending a conference in Liverpool I went down to their offices and they pulled the file and got it corrected at their expense (luckily I kept a photocopy of application form). Overall, my experience was positive and the people I dealt with up and down the food chain were pleasant and just doing their job. I know things don't always go according to plan and government never has a good reputation. However, I do think there are good people working there, unthanked, and the sh!t they have to put up with from some members of the public...hats off to them.
Les

Ok, this is what I know, so far.

He came to me in September 11, with a valid visa and a job.

The visa expired in (I think) June after which applied for asylum with a particularly bizarre story that I can't really share here, but if you're interested, PM me and I'll share.

I was aware of his status and served him a notice requiring repossession in May, to protect my interests, because it was clear he may have no job/income if things didn't go well - he fully understood why I was doing this and was ok with it. Our agreement was that I wouldn't enforce it if he was granted leave to stay.

He's been continuing to pay his rent and remained a model tenant.

Now to where we are - he went to his regular progres review yesterday and that's where to thread started.

He's now in a holding centre in Kindlington, Oxfordshire while his brief has a last ditch attempt to seek asylum.

I've got a shipping company to take his gear to tomorrow, in the event of him being sent back to his homeland and I don't think either of us are optimistic.

He's been continuing to pay his rent and remained a model tenant.

I'm not suggesting that he is anything other than a very nice, honourable man, but he had to behave this way anyway, as one slip and it was "back home".

You find his story a bit "unlikely", so do you really think he is in need of asylum?

It's more fantastic than unlikely.

Did I believe it - if I'm being honest, I've been a bit torn.

I have learned that what you see isn't what you get with tenants on occasions.

It's more fantastic than unlikely.

Did I believe it - if I'm being honest, I've been a bit torn.

His first name isn't Billy, is it?

The people that come across as the nicest are usually anything but behind the veneer.

The visa expired in (I think) June after which applied for asylum

I'm amazed he even managed to apply for asylum after a visa expired.

I thought you had to apply for asylum when you first arrive in the UK .. certainly, that's what all the signs at the airports say

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom