UK car sales fall 9.3% in July

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The trend graph (from a previous poster) shows a cyclical trend. Just like the boom and bust we normally see in this nation's economic cycle. We would have been due for a big bust in a few years' time but first you need a boom. This has all been disrupted from the uncertainty not just from Brexit but the will of the people to stand up to the "establishment", dieselgate etc..

Ironically, these disruptors have probably ironed out a potential boom/bust for the next 5 years instead we are likely to see a period of stagnation. So the "uncertainty" has driven a smoothing of the economic cycle.

The real situation is that in the last two decades, we have seen very low GDP growth and would have continued with brexit or no brexit. Normally a boom is created by "paper" money from the next financial market fad (PPI, subprime mortgage etc) which drives an economic boom on false pretence which allows a government and the financial markert to celebrity in all its glory. But this cannot last with a low GDP growth rate, so the market eventually corrects itself with a bust. Those who made their money on this false pretence then run away with all their riches while the average tax payer continues on the daily work routine footing the bill.

So don't worry about all this uncertainty and stagnated economy. It's a blessing in disguise.

Could it be that the car industry has milked the PCP market and everyone that's ever wanted a new car has bought one ?
The market can't keep growing when there can only be so many customers..
Then there's the customers who have had PCP who feel they have been miss sold when their deal has run out due to lack of equity and have gone back to used cars.

I wonder what to the used price of diesel vehicles over the next 3 to 5 years (yes I know the statistic is for new car sales but could easily translate to the used market). If demand is starting to fall in this market then prices will fall which is going to mean people have GRV on their current PCPs at a higher level than the MV of the car and some dealers could be looking at loads of cars being handed back to them and worth a lot less than they anticipated.

I think big cars will be ok. Some of them are sold mostly with diesel engines with small amount of petrol versions. E-class, S-class, BMW5/7, Audi A6/8, etc. The same for SUVs.

Small cars will probably suffer more.

I decided to go for diesel as my next daily due to amazing range. I don't park in London so not bothered about extra charges in Westminster, car will be leased so I'm not worried about its value and road tax is included. I wouldn't go for a PCP/outright ownership for any car above £40K right now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom