UK Crime Statistics. Check your area.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
I'm considering moving to another area of England, some 200 miles from where I presently live.

Although I have visited the areas I would like to relocate to, I thought it a good idea to do some research.

The UK Crime Statistics site has been useful. LINK.

I'm at the mercy of those who compile the statistics, which may, or may not be truely indicative of daily life in a particular area, but as long as the majority of the figures are put together using the same system, I think it is safe to use them as a guide.

It seems that anti-social behaviour is increasing in all of the areas I have looked at, but car-crime seems, on the whole, to be very low.

The figures may well be produced to portray a rosy image in most areas, but what do you make of the reports on the Crime Statistics website?

Am I right in thinking you have to be a member to access the reports and raw data? If so, at £9.99 a month, this site is either aimed solely at those with a professional or academic interest in the data, or a scam aimed at drawing in the paranoid. Do people really use the crime statistics as prime factor in deciding where to live? If so, I can't imagine anyone would ever choose to live in some of the more desirable parts of London...

Besides, isn't this information just a commercial representation of the data available on the police's own website (which was featured here a couple of years ago)?

Am I right in thinking you have to be a member to access the reports and raw data? If so, at £9.99 a month, this site is either aimed solely at those with a professional or academic interest in the data, or a scam aimed at drawing in the paranoid. Do people really use the crime statistics as prime factor in deciding where to live? If so, I can't imagine anyone would ever choose to live in some of the more desirable parts of London...

Would those be the same desirable parts of London where you can't park anywhere near your house, can't find a decent state school for your children, run the risk of being mugged by the gangstas from the council estate two streets away every time you dare to leave your home and where you pay at least a million quid to live in a modest house ??

Last edited:
I'm considering moving to another area of England, some 200 miles from where I presently live.

Although I have visited the areas I would like to relocate to, I thought it a good idea to do some research.

Where are you thinking of moving to?

Perhaps members could give you a better idea of areas than raw stats?

Other than extreme areas of no go (enter chosen name here.....) I wouldn't let crime data prevent me from moving to an area if other things suited.

Unfortunately, crime is everywhere.

I use the police post code site for this information. It may not be 100% accurate, but when I look at my own area it seems to be what I would expect.

Would those be the same desirable parts of London where you can't park anywhere near your house, can't find a decent state school for your children, run the risk of being mugged by the gangstas from the council estate two streets away every time you dare to leave your home and where you pay at least a million quid to live in a modest house ??

A typically scathing assessment, I must say.

Parking doesn't have to be a problem - it is possible to buy a house with off-street parking, or garaging en mews. The local parentsdon't seem to have any difficulty finding a decent education (whether state or private) for their children, and without wishing to tempt fate, I've spent a lifetime living in London without having been mugged. Oh, and the fact that people are prepared to pay high prices for a house in London merely underlines the desirability of living here, though I accept it's not for everyone.

Besides, isn't this information just a commercial representation of the data available on the police's own website (which was featured here a couple of years ago)?

I think that's one of the issues overlooked, desirable suburbs can have an increased crime rate as the thieves know there are decent valuables to steal. Some of the villages around me are considered a high crime risk, the reason being they have very expensive properties, with high end cars and are within 2 miles of a motorway, the road was know as Twoccers drag and it was notorious for car thefts until the Police clamped down on it, you can't come into our area after 11pm without passing a traffic car these days.

I phoned the local cop shop and asked to speak to the crime prevention officer, up to date information from the person who would know.

A typically scathing assessment, I must say.

Parking doesn't have to be a problem - it is possible to buy a house with off-street parking, or garaging en mews. The local parentsdon't seem to have any difficulty finding a decent education (whether state or private) for their children, and without wishing to tempt fate, I've spent a lifetime living in London without having been mugged. Oh, and the fact that people are prepared to pay high prices for a house in London merely underlines the desirability of living here, though I accept it's not for everyone.

Plus, the million quid is yours for a simple lowering of principles... :D

Doesn't 200 mile from where you live in either direction put you in the middle of an ocean :dk: Don't tell me you've come into money and are going to do the same as Richard Branson and buy an island ? Maybe Isle of Wight, Scilly Isles or a Channel Island ?

Anyway wherever good luck mate :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom