UK customs clearance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fredT

Car
NO MB :-D , X5, Ducati 748sps, Porsche 996GT2
Anyone know about this stuff?

I ordered a bunch of car parts from the US, and this morning I got a call from WFS Worldwide Flight Services asking if I have a UK customs clearing agent.

Its clearly my delivery as they know where it comes from, and they recommended someone called Quest International for to handle it for me, to pay UK customs and taxes and delivering it home.

I have no experience in this sort of thing, does this sound normal?

I expected it to be delivered to my door together with a tax and vat bill..

Anyone know?

Thanks,
Fred

I've not heard of this. I've ordered loads of stuff from the us and have not had this issue.

It's a fairly big order so a big package (or two) if that makes a difference

It's a fairly big order so a big package (or two) if that makes a difference

I've not had any issues in the past with deliveries from the US. VAT / Customs have typically been handled & paid by the courier and then charged to me separately.

Same here - my orders from the UK usually arrive by Royal Mail, UPS or DHL - all of whom handle the customs clearance, deliver, then bill me for it...

I had two very large boxes of motorcycle parts delivered from the states and they had to be handled by a freight forwarder as they were too large (dimensions not weight) for the regular postal services, i think it's because they won't fit inside whatever standard container they put parcels in. It's the same sort of thing as paying Parcel Force for pre-paying your duty etc., i paid and the boxes turned up on a truck the next day.

Last edited:
Thanks guys,

So it looks like they used airfrieght to a UK port rather then a door to door service. Wonder if this has saved me any money..

Anyway seems like it's normal.

Cheers

Very normal. Any large items or shipments will usually need to be handled by an agent. I used to do a lot of import from the USA and South Africa. Other posts mentioning no issues etc... are likely to be people importing small parcels or items in jiffy bags.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom