Uk motorists short changed again!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grober

MB Master
Car
W204 ESTATE
I'd rather fewer cars were fitted with ESP. I'd much rather have the money spent on skidpan courses.

We really need to improve driver training in this country.

I'd rather fewer cars were fitted with ESP. I'd much rather have the money spent on skidpan courses.

Before I was allowed to drive the ouside broadcast units for Swedish Radio I had to do a course on a skid pan, nice having done it

It's a case of primary and secondary safety. I would suggets that both should be complulsory.

I welcome all advances in technology which improve safety. But it really gets my goat the way far too many drivers place a blind faith in it.

I know I've got a good car and I know it's limitations, but I've long lost count of those occasions when any old Kia, Astra or Mondeo flies past in pouring rain and streaming roads - the driver clearly relying on another sort of ESP!

Learning to drive on that old Standard Vanguard (cars owned thread) taught me everything about knowing your vehicle, anticipation and defensive driving - basic skills which make it unlikely you will ever cause an accident.

Perhaps Clarkson's theory of a spike on the steering wheel would be the best safety feature!

Many, many years ago I was loaned a BMW motor bike to play with, this was a test bike fitted with a new innovation.(ABS) Yes I was impressed with the system, but during the time I used it; not once did I need this aid and yes I think it fair to say I 'enjoyed' myself.

All these gadgets are a safety aid that perhaps bale us out when our driving ability exceeds the skill we might possess? I'm all for these aids, but hopefully will never need them. Only a fool would dismiss them and I find it regretable they are not a standard requirement?

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom