UK number plates... Look naff!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's a number plate.

If you think a number plate is a canvas where you can express yourself or a number plate is anything other than a legal requirement to ID vehicles then, frankly, there's something wrong with you.

Thanks, they are indeed of a very good quality, and all the legally required details are in very small, laser engraved font, so hardly noticeable - I really don't like those huge, self-advertising branding on some plates.

I bought them from these guys ( DVLA registered - I checked :thumb: ):

DB9 - Car Pair Metal Aluminium Number Plates Pressed Embossed 100% Road Legal | eBay

Yeah, I did notice the legal bits on yours was minimal (only referring to the plate by the way ;)), I will look in to these as that's far cleaner!

Cheers

It's a number plate.

If you think a number plate is a canvas where you can express yourself or a number plate is anything other than a legal requirement to ID vehicles then, frankly, there's something wrong with you.

Calm doon pal, merely passing comment on how UK plates aren't the most aesthetically pleasing things against our cars, and that other countries look and fit better (like the Deutsche ones)...

Horses for courses, if we were all the same... You'd have nothing to point out and complain about! ;)

I don't think I've ever known a forum as obsessed with number plate appearance as this one!
nuts.gif

CaptainChaos said:
I don't think I've ever known a forum as obsessed with number plate appearance as this one!
That's because we are a bunch of people with very sophisticated taste for automotive perfection hence MB. ;)

del320 said:
^Would look better without that naff B*W badge above...

Sort of like this you mean?

Sent from my iPhone using sausage fingers.

Last edited:
Mmmm, "Automotive perfection"...MB...not quite there yet, but better than most.

My last 2 cars, a Mercedes B200 Turbo (4 years old) and a Honda Civic (3 years old)

Mercedes:

New doors all round due to rust,
Failed steering rack
Failed started motor,
Seized front calliper
Both front springs snapped
ARB bush failed - needing new complete ARB, dropped floor etc
Both front top mounts failed
HK stereo left speaker stopped working
Air con fans stopped working
Boot rusted
Both front shocks failed
Boot latch failed
Drivers side CV joint failed
Mercedes pursuit of perfection...:fail

Honda:

Nothing failed...or even a hint of failing.

My last 2 cars, a Mercedes B200 Turbo (4 years old) and a Honda Civic (3 years old)

Mercedes:

New doors all round due to rust,
Failed steering rack
Failed started motor,
Seized front calliper
Both front springs snapped
ARB bush failed - needing new complete ARB, dropped floor etc
Both front top mounts failed
HK stereo left speaker stopped working
Air con fans stopped working
Boot rusted
Both front shocks failed
Boot latch failed
Drivers side CV joint failed
Mercedes pursuit of perfection...:fail

For a car that was developed and released in the modern times, that's quite a list!..

Doesn't help the confidence for the future eh?

Would have thought the well documented rust issues were behind especially as these didn't come out until 2005 (which apparently well after the 'cheap metal' years) :eek::eek:

Would have thought the well documented rust issues were behind especially as these didn't come out until 2005 (which apparently well after the 'cheap metal' years) :eek::eek:

The W245 and W/C169, up until 2008-2009 had that terrible "wobbly weld" door seal (which was later replaced by the "smooth" type).

This type of seal rusted all the way through, to the point where it came off loose, and Mercedes [initially] replaced doors for customers, particularly in Germany ...

They have now stopped that, so for example my C169 2006 A200 was rejected for remedial finance contribution, despite having FMBSH (service plans, so all additional/recommended items included) and a very low mileage (under 30k at the time I applied two years ago).

What made it worse was that the rear drivers side started to rust with the replacement new smooth seam. I had to cut it back and seal it. The door would have been 2 years old! I want to enjoy German made cars but they do seem to fall behind the Japanese manufacturers for build quality unfortunately.

Oh dear ... I'm pinning my hopes for a rust-free life on a couple (it's a coupé - yay) of facelift doors. I understand the smooth seal is much better, but if this also rusts, then I might have to reconsider ...

To be honest, I wouldn't worry about it too much. The rust I had on the smooth seams would have taken quite a few years before becoming apparent on any obvious places. I only noticed it because I went looking for it. My boot panel was the old wrinkle seam and rusted everywhere. I cut and filled the noticeable areas and stopped it spreading. I also stripped the seams cut back and resealed so that it didn't get worse while I owned it. I wouldn't buy a wrinkly seamed Merc but I would buy a smooth one (if the threat of rust was my only concern).

Last edited:
steve-jobs-mercedes-car.jpg

Yes, he did always park in the Disabled Bay, because it was the nearest to the entrance of Apple HQ
Always thought he was a nobb but couldn't quite put my finger on why. Thanks for the clarification.

Some of the angry wheelchair jockeys I've met would call it karma that he's now pushing up daisies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom