UK Passport renewal timeframe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A-AvantGarde

MB Enthusiast
Car
2015 911 Turbo S, 2019 Volvo XC90 T5 Polestar Optimised
Hi all,

I recall last summer the Passport Office encountered severe delays. The passports for my wife and youngest daughter expire imminently and we may want to go away over the Easter break.

Has anyone had a renewal recently? If so how long did it take please.

I know the official quoted time is 3 weeks, this may be cutting it fine for Easter though. Weighing up whether I take a risk (end incur the wrath of the missus) or just stump up the extra cash and time to go to a passport office for the fast track 1 week service (I think we can do that for both an adult and child renewal).

I renewed mine last year, did the initial bit online, printed the PDF, signed it and posted off with two recent passport style pictures. I received my new passport in under 7 days.

Just had a look here https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently

Not quite sure how they work out their fees but the differential between a fast track adult renewal and child versus the standard seems out of proportion. The child one is quite a lot more expensive!

Having said that, it's not as much more as I thought it may be. It just may be worth it for the piece of mind :)

Anyone got any experience of the fast track 1 week service too? Think I may call tomorrow morning and see when they've got available appointments...

Had mine done in October, new one arrived 6 days after I posted the form.
Standard service, not fast tracked or anything.

-t

Renewed mine off-season and on-line; six working days.

I know this is a bit redundant but given that you normally need to have six months available prior to the expiry date in order to travel on most airlines, and that any re-application includes the unused period, I always renew around the six months to go mark - normally right after a holiday.

If in doubt, bite the bullet and fast-track it. It might be more costly but at least you will be almost guaranteed your trip.

It will cost you more to placate SWMBO if it all goes wrong.

Same as Mark. Did mine online, printed the PDF form, posted it 1st class at Post Office recorded on Monday, got renewed passport back on Thursday, along with the old one returned as well.

This was in early January when demand may not be so great, however.

I know this is a bit redundant but given that you normally need to have six months available prior to the expiry date in order to travel on most airlines,

Being pedantic ....

Where this is a requirement it's normally the destination country that imposes it as a condition of entry - the airlines just follow that because they are potentially liable for a fine and repatriatriation cost if you are refused entry.

Same as few others above: renewed wife's passport online in early January, back within a few days. I too do it within nine months prior to expiry (max transferable period), so didn't pay much attention, how many days it actually took, but less than a full week for sure. The old one arrived separately.

Did mine about three weeks ago and it took exactly 7 day to arrive. they quoted up to three weeks.

same for me, around 10 days... Easter is still well over a month away, I would post it by using check and send at the relevant local post office.

Did mine last summer as I was not in a hurry, when all the tales of woe were happening, did the online form. Took a couple of weeks.

Wouldn't be surprised if half the problem was all the staff that had to do the hunting around due to the panic in the press though my BiL had to jump through hoops for an urgent passport a little while back, though getting a replacement passport lost in a shipwreck for daughter sounded like a better excuse than many other people who just forgot.

Then there was another friend who waved her family off on the skiing holiday as she'd not checked her passport.

PS remember EHIC cards expire too.

PPS As do picture driving licences.

I'd opt for the expensive fast track. The standard service is usually fairly quick, but not guaranteed. Even their "up to three weeks" isn't a guarantee and I've known them to take longer, particularly when heading towards holiday times, including Easter! What you'll pay for the fast track service will no doubt be a fraction of the cost of your holiday - don't risk it.

The missus renewed hers from here in SW France and it took exactly 2 weeks from posting the form to receiving the new passport. They quote 6 weeks, so she was well pleased.

Sounds like current applications are being turned round quickly.

Stuart

I renewed mine last year, did the initial bit online, printed the PDF, signed it and posted off with two recent passport style pictures. I received my new passport in under 7 days.

Same story here, did it a few weeks ago.

Decided it's not really worth the risk posting the application. Booked an appointment for Tuesday. Whilst it may have been fine to wait I would rather not tempt fate.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

So time for an update, hope this may help others too.

Went for the fast track service to save any potential heartache with delays in processing the renewal. Had an appointment at their office in Victoria for 8.45 on Tuesday 3rd March.

Very efficient setup, with a slick queuing system. Seen within minutes and in my office in Marylebone by 9.15 am. I had expected to lose more like an hour or more! Passports have arrived this morning Friday 6th March. So no risk of the wife getting upset about a ruined Easter break :) My youngest daughters passport still had time left on it, so as stated above any unexpired portion of validity (up to 9 months) is added to the new passport. Job done.

Thanks to all above for their input & advice.

This past week I renewed my passport.

From using the checking service at Solihull Post Office to receiving my new passport took just 4 working days.

Impressive!

Does anyone know if a passport is required when visiting the Isle of Man?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom