UK Road Trip locations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A160DSB

Car
A160 BRABUS Metallic Meteor Grey
Hi all, it's been a while since I posted.
I've been on the site reading through many posts still, just haven't posted.

Me and the girlfriend have decided, on our week off from work in June, we would go on a UK Road trip. The biggest problem we have is where to actually go?

Any suggestions?

Edit: Starting in Sunny Canvey Island, Essex

Nowt wrong with Canvey. Thank you very much :p ..
Well we were thinking whether to go south or go north. Obviously theres a lot more north, but as I've always holidayed outside of the UK, with the exception of Clacton, I don't know which way to go.

Nowt wrong with Canvey. Thank you very much :p ..
Well we were thinking whether to go south or go north. Obviously theres a lot more north, but as I've always holidayed outside of the UK, with the exception of Clacton, I don't know which way to go.

Hard to beat Devon and Cornwall.

Lake District, Wales, Cornwall or Scotland (although much more of a trek from the South East!)

Peak District, Lake District, Scotland, West Country,Wales, GB is your lobster as Arthur Daley would say :D

Would it be possible, in 5-6 days, to go up the east coast, over to the lake district, down the west coast, across the south coast and back up the south east coast back to essex?

Last edited:
Only if you wanted to drive and nothing else, but what is the point of that, wandering around new locations is part of the pleasure of a holiday, sitting behind the wheel for eight hours a day just to cover the miles isn't a holiday in my book. Scotland has some nice driving roads with beautiful scenery, but you want to stop and sit at the side of lochs, or wander around some glens, not just drive.

Would it be possible, in 5-6 days, to go up the east coast, over to the lake district, down the west coast, across the south coast and back up the south east coast back to essex?

Having done most of that in two days for work, I think so. depends on how long you want in each destination.

There is a lot to see and do in the UK if you look, just do some research now and decide on a smaller geographical location that suits your required activities.

if you come as far as Scotland the A82 through Glencoe is one of my favourite roads

Its just really a week away from everyone, it'll be a year of us together in that week, and due to work, siblings and parents we don't really get a lot of time to do anything just us. I think we've decided on the south coast, visiting, Hastings, Eastbourne, Bognor, Portsmouth, Southampton, Poole, Weymouth, Torquay, Plymouth, St Ives and Newquay.

Its just really a week away from everyone, it'll be a year of us together in that week, and due to work, siblings and parents we don't really get a lot of time to do anything just us. I think we've decided on the south coast, visiting, Hastings, Eastbourne, Bognor, Portsmouth, Southampton, Poole, Weymouth, Torquay, Plymouth, St Ives and Newquay.

Have you researched Southampton/Portsmouth?

I'm sure that they are decent enough places to live but don't register with me as holiday destinations.

Just a drive through really to get to cornwall.

I would stop at the new forest in that case... not portsmouth or southampton.. there isnt much interesting there unless you want to get your car serviced.

According to the AA you can get from Canvey Island to Fort William in ten hours.
Start at 04:00 and you will miss any Birminghham / Manchester holdups (too early) and then the Glasgow holdups (too late)
A couple of stops (Tebay & Dumbarton) and you will be there by 15:00

Now I can't stand Fort William itself, but it's a good base for some superb driving roads and scenery.

That's a proper road trip.

No way are you doing that in 10 hours!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom