Uk Roads Not Fit For Purpose

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hawk20

MB Enthusiast
Car
ML250 BlueTEC Sport Jan 2013
British Roads Not Fit For Purpose

Britain's transport infrastructure is "not fit for purpose", with the cost of congestion likely to soon exceed the current figure of £20 billion a year, a report from a centre-right think tank said.
Britain had the most crowded and congested roads, the fewest motorways and "some of the worst public transport" among leading industrialised countries, the report from Policy Exchange said.
Congestion was now endemic, affecting not just large cities but also motorways and small towns, added the report, which was produced in co-operation with task management company Serco and law firm Bevan Brittan LLP.
"Relatively small" road charging schemes on congestion hotspots would soon pay for improvements, the report said.
For example, a six-hour peak time weekday charge of 10p per kilometre (10p/km) on a six-lane motorway priced to run close to capacity could in a year raise around £1.5 million per km - sufficient to pay for widening to eight lanes or, to construct a brand new six-lane motorway in parallel, the report said.
A charge of 5p/km for cars and light vans and 10p/km for goods vehicles on all roads could, in a year, raise over £25 billion - enough to pay for the construction of 1,200 miles of six-lane motorway.
In context, this would mean that a doubling in the size of the current motorway network could be paid for in under two years.
Policy Exchange chief economist Dr Oliver Hartwich said: "Britain's transport infrastructure is, quite simply, not fit for purpose and unable to meet the needs of a modern country. Transport infrastructure investment has become detached from consumer demand."
Policy Exchange said the deficiencies of UK transport infrastructure were not reflected in a shortage of tax revenues from transport. In 2006 private road users paid around £32 billion in transport-related taxes. Of this, just £8 billion was spent on the road network.
Policy Exchange added that of this £8 billion - which is enough in theory to construct at least 400 miles of six-lane motorway - a large proportion was spent on repairing damage to the roads and another significant portion on anti-traffic and safety measures.

Lots of things in the UK are not "fit for purpose".
Most hospitals.
Dental and optical welfare.
Pensions.
Public Transport.
Policing.
Pre-school education
Schools generally.

And thats just for starters.

However, it depends who you compare the UK to before all seems lost.
Things should be better than they are bearing in mind the level of taxation in the UK. Its a simple fact that far too much of the government purse goes to support the welfare state and all its hangers on and not enough is channelled to the areas that need the cash. If there was better control, then we could have the best country in the whole world. As it is, those in "control" are useless and devoid of vision and plain simple common sense.

The trouble is that the charges you speak of will of course, in the same way road tax and duty on petrol does, go to fund things like the Northern Rock fiasco. Or get wasted like the 16 Billion spent on computer technology that doesn’t work for the NHS. When the government runs out of ideas they hit the motorist….There’s a surprise….Not.

How about investing in the rail net work and get these huge lorries off the roads? Or regulate time slots or days that Lorries can operate. Regulate delivery drivers so they can only use the nearside lane. Hells teeth the amount of tailbacks and hazards caused by one lorry travelling at 58mph overtaking another that can just about do 56mph for three miles up a slight incline is just unbelievable.

The motorist pays enough…JMHO

"A report from a centre right think tank" I should watch who you vote for in the next general election:devil:

Attachments

• lmao.gif
    lmao.gif
    9.6 KB · Views: 239
"Relatively small" road charging schemes on congestion hotspots would soon pay for improvements, the report said.
For example, a six-hour peak time weekday charge of 10p per kilometre (10p/km) on a six-lane motorway priced to run close to capacity could in a year raise around £1.5 million per km - sufficient to pay for widening to eight lanes or, to construct a brand new six-lane motorway in parallel, the report said.

A charge of 5p/km for cars and light vans and 10p/km for goods vehicles on all roads could, in a year, raise over £25 billion - enough to pay for the construction of 1,200 miles of six-lane motorway.

Policy Exchange said the deficiencies of UK transport infrastructure were not reflected in a shortage of tax revenues from transport. In 2006 private road users paid around £32 billion in transport-related taxes. Of this, just £8 billion was spent on the road network.

Having just paid my new RFL online today this seems to be a pertinent post.

I believe we have already paid for the road network once so why should we all pay again via conjestion charging of overcrowded sections.

Any additonal revenues raised will not be spent on the road network and if it is the currently raised value will be syphoned off elswhere even more.

It would be interesting to know how much of the arterial route conjestion is a result of repairs to inadequately specified carriageway.
If they had been specified properly in the first place they wouldn't require anywhere near as many repairs.

Whilst I don't like the idea of having to pay conjestion/pollution charging in Cities I can understand it. That is there to reduce pollution by encouraging people to use either less polluting vehicles or travel by another method.

The problem will be solved when the extra 40 million houses are built to house the people who want to come into the UK over the next 10 years.:rolleyes:

The problem will be solved when the extra 40 million houses are built to house the people who want to come into the UK over the next 10 years.:rolleyes:
Yes, and all the extra cars. And what is profoundly depressing is there is not one major Party planning a major road building programme -all leaping on the green bandwagon. Vote for roads would get my vote!

Purchase Tax = VAT.
Rates = Poll Tax = Council Tax

Whats in a name?

It all ends up in the same place whatever its nom de plume.

Anyone else noticed how "Road Fund Licence"

has morphed into...

"Vehicle Excise Duty"
? :devil:

On THIS page it is refered to as a Tax Disk, wheras on the paperwork it is referred to as a Vehicle Licence.

In either case it is more accurate than the RFL as you are licencing the vehicle, not the road.

It was called the RFL when the Govenment wanted money from motorists to actually build the roads we now have. Bear in mind there was a sudden explosion of road transport so a lot of new roads had to be built relatively quickly, so extra monies had to be raised to pay for them.

Last edited:
Centre right indeed.

Are more roads really the answer or do we need to look at our habits?

What about the decline of urban centres in favour of out of town business parks and shopping malls, heaven forbid anyone walk anywhere or use public transport.

Congestion which is part and parcel of living in SE England, its the price we pay for a massively centralised economy and population, too many people, not enough infrastructure.

We brits suffer from a lack of collective vision, refusal to invest in capital projects and a stupid suspicion and mistrust of experts, and a refusal to look at the rest of the world and learn - which is why our roads are being constantly repaired. ;)

Oh and the other plague of any motorway journey, the idiot who drove into the person in front.

Thats what I think anyway..

Ade

As long as they continue building them on the floodplain , it'll be alright ;)

The way the rivers running at the moment , they'd need to be on top of telegraph poles ....

After driving in many many part of the world, I can tell you what I think the main prob is....

Our lane dissipline.... our m ways are cloged with middle lane hogs, that will drive 200 miles in the middle lane at 55mph, A rolling road block effectively making it a single lane road, Anything and everything has to pass in the outside lane.

This people need to start getting big fines.

O please dont stay we need to change, walk public transport load of tosh

I live in wales mate, 2 mile walk for milk, I think not ! Public transport thats a joke, some parts near me get ONE bus once a week, one in one out.

And why would i get out of my leather clad ac car to sit on a bus that smells of wee and takes 1.5 hrs to to what i can do in a car in 15 mins, If it even turns up at all.

Its very easy for all the peeps in london and such with good transport links to preach, when shops are on the same street and you have a bus every 5 mins, But its not like that in other places.

And a 4x4 may be the bain of the city, But for me living in the country, its a necessity in the winter

Last edited:
No. There is virtually no growth in road transport recently, if any at all.

In the '60s and '70s lots of people went from not having a car to having one and a lot of freight switched to the road from rail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom