UK Servicing options

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good indies typically charge around 60-70% of what MB dealers charge.

MB Guildford (in fact, the Sandown Group ... which includes another 5 dealerships) give labour discounts of up to 40% depending on the age of car (plus parts discounts and cheap MOTs), so can actually be cheaper than many indies:

Sandown Platinum Programme The programme that gives you more!

But MB Ascot (closest dealership to me) doesn't discount at all. So you definitely need to shop around.

I was quoted £87 a month for my car which annually costs more than the one offs. I guess it varies by model

Sent from my H8116 using Tapatalk
How many payments? 12, 24, or 36?

For how many services? 2, or 3?

I was quoted £87 a month for my car which annually costs more than the one offs. I guess it varies by model

Doesn’t sound right to me, unless you’re having two services a year or something?

I was quoted £46/month interest free (£552 PA) for the E63 and I can’t imagine an A45 would be more expensive.

That includes spark plugs (V8), ATF and filter change, brake fluid, air/pollen filters etc as required.

Doesn’t sound right to me, unless you’re having two services a year or something?

I was quoted £46/month interest free (£552 PA) for the E63 and I can’t imagine an A45 would be more expensive.

That includes spark plugs (V8), ATF and filter change, brake fluid, air/pollen filters etc as required.
Mine is a cl500 amg line

How many services, and over what term? Sounds like two services per year to me. Most people are half that for one service per year.

Mine is a cl500 amg line

Ah - I saw the reply to your post in #17 and read A45 on there, along with the OP’s thread being for an A45.

Still even on your CL, unless there’s some huge service tasks that MB have accounted for I can’t see the basic service being nearly twice the price of an E63 - or most other models - unless as said already you’re having two services a year?

How many services, and over what term? Sounds like two services per year to me. Most people are half that for one service per year.
I do one a year I barely do 4000 miles. The online calculator {now removed} suggested 2 a year that was a bit of a shock

Eithee way, if you are expected to pay £87 x 12 for two services, that's £522 per service.

So for an A Service with no additional items this is obviously not good value.

But for an A or B Service with additional items, the MB Service Care Plan can work-out much cheaper than paying for the service outright.

Eithee way, if you are expected to pay £87 x 12 for two services, that's £522 per service.

So for an A Service with no additional items this is obviously not good value.

But for an A or B Service with additional items, the MB Service Care Plan can work-out much cheaper than paying for the service outright.
I just setup a plan over 4 years for £36 a month otherwise its 800+ a year if I pay on the spot. And apparently wiper blades are not a service item [emoji1787]

I just setup a plan over 4 years for £36 a month otherwise its 800+ a year if I pay on the spot. And apparently wiper blades are not a service item [emoji1787]

A scheduled service item is anything that is changed at fixed time (or mileage) intervals, regardless of condition.

Items that are changed on condition only and not at fixed intervals, such as wipers, brake discs and pads, exhaust, battery, etc, will not be replaced FOC under the Service Care Plan.

MB Guildford (in fact, the Sandown Group ... which includes another 5 dealerships) give labour discounts of up to 40% depending on the age of car (plus parts discounts and cheap MOTs), so can actually be cheaper than many indies:

Sandown Platinum Programme The programme that gives you more!

But MB Ascot (closest dealership to me) doesn't discount at all. So you definitely need to shop around.

Thank you very much for this tip on the back of which I have just had my E500 serviced by MB Hindhead with spark plug and filter change and £30 MOT. Saving approx. £200 compared to the price from my nearest London dealer. Pleasant and efficient service too.

Incidentally I was also quoted £87 a month with 12 payments to cover the above A service with extras and next year's B service which will be with brake fluid change. Decided to pay for them individually but intend to return there next year if the same offer is still available.

Main reason for staying within the dealer network is because I'm planning to extend the used car warranty with tier 1 warranty next month. Fortunately the warranty over the last year has covered a new sunroof motor, starter motor and idler pulley that took the belt with it! Hate to think what that lot would've cost me!

Sorry going a bit off topic but any thoughts on how the two warranties compare in terms of cover?

Thank you very much for this tip on the back of which I have just had my E500 serviced by MB Hindhead with spark plug and filter change and £30 MOT. Saving approx. £200 compared to the price from my nearest London dealer. Pleasant and efficient service too.

Incidentally I was also quoted £87 a month with 12 payments to cover the above A service with extras and next year's B service which will be with brake fluid change. Decided to pay for them individually but intend to return there next year if the same offer is still available.

You're welcome. Their 'Platinum' scheme has been going for 10 years or so now ... they change the details from time to time (for example MOTs used to be free!), but I doubt they'd drop it entirely.

Obviously there's scope for things to vary from one dealership to another within the chain but I've been going to MB Guildford since 2004 and have had consistently good service there, with no attempts to extort extra money. In fact they advised me to switch from annual to 2-yearly servicing on my SL, because of the low mileage it does. And when I've been organised enough to buy Mobil 1 in advance from Costco, they've been happy for me to supply my own oil for services ... which saves a fair bit with a big engine.

I'm probably a little bit early as I dont get my A35 till around Aug 19.

My car is a personal lease, 16k miles over 2 years.

What sort of service do I need to do on it over that period, and any idea of rough costs ?

Just slap it in a 2-year service plan more than likely £60 odd a month

I'm probably a little bit early as I dont get my A35 till around Aug 19.

My car is a personal lease, 16k miles over 2 years.

What sort of service do I need to do on it over that period, and any idea of rough costs ?

Just slap it in a 2-year service plan more than likely £60 odd a month

Thanks.

Once the A35 is listed in the service plan calculator on the mb website, I'll check that out :)

Called MB. The car apparently is not going on the service plan on the website. Not sure wither to believe that or not as that sounds dubious, I mean why not ?

Anyway, I can get a plan setup through my dealer, and for the A35, its £29pm for 2 years, that good ?

Called MB. The car apparently is not going on the service plan on the website. Not sure wither to believe that or not as that sounds dubious, I mean why not ?

Anyway, I can get a plan setup through my dealer, and for the A35, its £29pm for 2 years, that good ?

Difficult to say, in your case it will be borderline.

If you take-out an MB Service Care Plan on a new car, you'll get a Service A, and then a Service B plus Brake Fluid change.

(I believe that the Cabin/Pollen filter change is included in the cost of the Service B, but if not than this will also needed to be taken into account)

These are likely to cost roughly the same as the MB care Plan at £29 x 24 - £696.

But to be sure, you'll need to get quotes for the individual services that your particular model (A35) will require in year one and two.

There may be some saving to be had with the MB Service Care Plan, but it won't be huge and at any rate it's not 100% clear without doing the maths.

But of course there's the added convenience (for some) of paying in monthly instalments.

Difficult to say, in your case it will be borderline.

If you take-out an MB Service Care Plan on a new car, you'll get a Service A, and then a Service B plus Brake Fluid change.

(I believe that the Cabin/Pollen filter change is included in the cost of the Service B, but if not than this will also needed to be taken into account)

These are likely to cost roughly the same as the MB care Plan at £29 x 24 - £696.

But to be sure, you'll need to get quotes for the individual services that your particular model (A35) will require in year one and two.

There may be some saving to be had with the MB Service Care Plan, but it won't be huge and at any rate it's not 100% clear without doing the maths.

But of course there's the added convenience (for some) of paying in monthly instalments.

So I've just got a quote for the A35 doing manual service.

Year 1 is £397 + £20 on top for courtesy car = Total £417
Year 2 is £597 + £20 on top for courtesy car = Total £617

Total over 2 years = £1034

Service care plan with everything included, including the courtesy car etc is £696

That's a no brainer for me.

So I've just got a quote for the A35 doing manual service.

Year 1 is £397 + £20 on top for courtesy car = Total £417
Year 2 is £597 + £20 on top for courtesy car = Total £617

Total over 2 years = £1034

Service care plan with everything included, including the courtesy car etc is £696

That's a no brainer for me.

I've an A35 arriving soon for a 3 year lease and I'll be doing about 42k over the term. My question is do the services fall annually or does the mileage dictate it? I'm trying to calculate if the 3rd service will be required before I hand it back and from this I can work out if it's worth taking out a service plan and if so a 2 or 3 year one, with 2 or 3 services. Thanks

I've an A35 arriving soon for a 3 year lease and I'll be doing about 42k over the term. My question is do the services fall annually or does the mileage dictate it? I'm trying to calculate if the 3rd service will be required before I hand it back and from this I can work out if it's worth taking out a service plan and if so a 2 or 3 year one, with 2 or 3 services. Thanks

It is either mileage or annually, whichever comes first. You can always take out a three year service plan, if you hand it back early you get a rebate for the unused service/s. This is what happened when I handed my A Class back early before its second service. The money I got back went into the service plan for my C Class which actually brought the monthly cost down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom