UKOnline cheap broadband

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mambo

MB Enthusiast
Car
BMW 535d Sport, Mini Cooper Convertible
For those of you who saw the UK Online advert in the Metro this morning advertising 512k unlimited broadband for £9.99. Seems its only available from certain exchanges, if you aren't connected to one of these then the price is £19.99 which isn't such a great deal :(

More details here:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/04/12/broadband_offers/

Mambo said:
For those of you who saw the UK Online advert in the Metro this morning advertising 512k unlimited broadband for £9.99. Seems its only available from certain exchanges, if you aren't connected to one of these then the price is £19.99 which isn't such a great deal :(

More details here:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/04/12/broadband_offers/

I checked out UKonline myself the other day. They appear to be buying the services from EasyNet who have their own kit in some exchanges. Hence they can offer an 8Mb service. However, this obviously only applies to EasyNet enabled exchanges. On the plus side, though this will force the others to respond and soon more price drops will follow.

I think this is why BT have offered 'free' upgrades to customers. It easier for them to upgrade their service to you, lock you in for another 12 months and keep the prices the same. In that 12 months, others may well offer circa 2Mb services for less with/without any transfer restrictions.

Going back to EasyNet, I have to say that I use them when deploying SHDSL services and they are very very good.

Alfie said:
I checked out UKonline myself the other day. They appear to be buying the services from EasyNet who have their own kit in some exchanges. Hence they can offer an 8Mb service. However, this obviously only applies to EasyNet enabled exchanges. On the plus side, though this will force the others to respond and soon more price drops will follow.

I think this is why BT have offered 'free' upgrades to customers. It easier for them to upgrade their service to you, lock you in for another 12 months and keep the prices the same. In that 12 months, others may well offer circa 2Mb services for less with/without any transfer restrictions.

Going back to EasyNet, I have to say that I use them when deploying SHDSL services and they are very very good.

mmmmm 8Mb connection. Think I need to move house :rock:

Feel Im slipping behind the times with my 56K :p

Really should do somwthing about upgrading its getting round to it. Currently with AOL and will leave them if I can find the right deal.

Any recommendations? Would be nice to have a package where you are nopt tied in at up to £19.99 a month.

Cheers

I have a uk-online 8mb connection, 512K upstream as well. So far it aint cost me anything to upgrade, I paid the initial £139 for the 54g wireless router and installation, they screwed up my install date and refunded 2 months money £80. Then BT continued to charge me for my old 1mb ADSL, I complained and they refunded from 2 months before I ceased the line and that has paid for my switch to uk-online. Also the price has dropped from 39.99 to 29.99 so it's the same as my old 1mb line cost from BT for 8mb.

Craig

Roy Newling said:
Try Virgin Broadband, 512k £17.99 per month 3GB monthly limit and only monthly contract. Works for me. :)

Problem is I would eat up that 3Gb limit in a week i reckon, I'm paying £23 odd quid now with pipex uncapped.....

Roy Newling said:
Try Virgin Broadband, 512k £17.99 per month 3GB monthly limit and only monthly contract. Works for me. :)

www.plus.net include 4gb a month for the same price, but you get 2mb speed :)

I'm on a 4mb connection with Bulldog.. pay £39 a month for unlimited surfing and phone line with free day n evening calls up and down the country. Highly recommended if you're looking elsewhere for a combined phone/ internet connection.

Tiscali are offering their current £15.99 package to their dial up members for £14.99

gary

Madferrit said:
I'm on a 4mb connection with Bulldog.. pay £39 a month for unlimited surfing and phone line with free day n evening calls up and down the country. Highly recommended if you're looking elsewhere for a combined phone/ internet connection.

That looked really interesting until I saw this on their website:
Standard phone line which can replace your current BT line
No minimum call charge or connect fee (BT minimum charge is 5p)
Very competitive tariffs, with calls to local and national UK landlines at 5.5p an hour
Unlimited calls to other Bulldog @ctive customers
Keep your existing BT number (or get a new one)
Popular standard call features - anonymous calling (141) and call return (1471) - included at no extra charge
Advanced call features (call waiting, three-way calling, call forwarding, call barring), included until 30th April, (normally £1 a month)

So note exactly free calls - I do not know anyone with a Bulldog account (I think). ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom