UKPSA members

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WLeg

MB Enthusiast
Car
MB GLC250
are there any here ?

I've just done the basic safety course, and an joining the Harlow branch....

I doubt we have many members, most of us don't like fire arms, unless of course we are at war, where we seem to excel at killing people legally :)

I love firearms and shoot regularly everything from automatic weapons to high power rifles I just don't shoot in the UK any more because of the nanny state you can no longer own and shoot anything decent. My shooting UK wise is limited to shot guns these days :thumb:

I love firearms and shoot regularly everything from automatic weapons to high power rifles I just don't shoot in the UK any more because of the nanny state you can no longer own and shoot anything decent. My shooting UK wise is limited to shot guns these days :thumb:

I completed a 22 year stint in the forces, so know a little about fire arms. Having seen 5 tours of active service (war) I know the damage of small arms and the swollen ego of those that own them, how they gain power and mutilate those that disagree with them, so extremely glad we have legislation that restricts gun ownership.

How did you manage 5 wars in 22 years?

He said 5 tours... not 5 wars. Could have been more than one tour per war?

We should keep in mind that the only thing that we know for certain we all have in common is the interest in the marque... there will be here members pro-gun and anti-gun, leftists and right-wing, religious and atheists, and so forth.

That, and the fact that most of us are blokes...

I'm no killjoy, understand people enjoy a hobby around competitions etc, and wouldn't want to restrict that, but glad we have legislation in place, however the legislation is flawed i.e. its targeted at the people who already own guns legally who are generally known to be stable people. I'd like legislation changed to target those that owns guns illegally i.e. if you commit a violent crime with a gun, it's automatically a life sentence. Also like to see anybody convicted of a violent crime formally banned from gun ownership for a period of years after the crime e.g. 10 years, and if caught with a gun in that time awarded a harsh sentence e.g. ten years.

I'm no killjoy, understand people enjoy a hobby around competitions etc, and wouldn't want to restrict that, but glad we have legislation in place, however the legislation is flawed i.e. its targeted at the people who already own guns legally who are generally known to be stable people. I'd like legislation changed to target those that owns guns illegally i.e. if you commit a violent crime with a gun, it's automatically a life sentence. Also like to see anybody convicted of a violent crime formally banned from gun ownership for a period of years after the crime e.g. 10 years, and if caught with a gun in that time awarded a harsh sentence e.g. ten years.

I agree with this. Sadly like so many of the UK laws they are focused on those who are "known". See my "C55 Got Whacked" thread. There is little interest in the illegal ownership but plenty on legal ownership.

Last edited:
He served his country and affords us the freedom we enjoy.

Give the man the respect he deserves. You owe him.

so how do you work out that i owe him?
I can certainly respect his chosen career and i do but have any of the conflicts we have been involved in over the last 22 years been as a direct attack on us as a nation?

Tony.

Last edited:

Tony.

He meant by extension. e.g. we owe our public safety to the police, therefore by extension each of us we owes to individual police officers etc.

This is not to say that you owe an individual soldier because his did something personally for you.

(Said that, the above only applies to people with a sense of community - those who distance themselves from the rest will only appreciate acts done personally for them and not for society in general.)

I can certainly respect his chosen career and i do but have any of the conflicts we have been involved in over the last 22 years been as a direct attack on us as a nation?

Tony.

When your posted into a theater of armed conflict these thoughts go through your head .i.e. what the blo-dy hell are we doing hear in this god forsaken place.
I think that because the world is shrinking, other nations do effect us i.e. the break up of Yugoslavia. This area of Europe had and still has the potential to spark a major war, not just within European states, but Muslim nations as well i.e. Turkey. so entering that conflict was the right thing to do to avoid a bigger conflict.
WW1 and 2 weren't direct attacks on us, indeed we needn't have gotten involved in ww1, but if we hadn't I'm pretty sure the newly grown German Empire would have attacked us later, and this war (ww2) would have had a different result.

I completed a 22 year stint in the forces, so know a little about fire arms. Having seen 5 tours of active service (war) I know the damage of small arms and the swollen ego of those that own them, how they gain power and mutilate those that disagree with them, so extremely glad we have legislation that restricts gun ownership.

I totally agree but guns don't kill people, people kill people. Full psychometric and psychological testing should be part of any gun ownership, I agree the licensing system is flawed but the total ban on weapons we have here is too extreme, automatic weapon ownership I agree should not be an option but high power hunting rifles should be allowed.

I would go for a hybrid of the UK and Australian legislation which should suit all concerned. I've been shooting for the last 40 years and never felt the urge to harm anyone.

And on a final note I personally thank you for 22 years contribution for affording us our freedom and the lives we lead today, you are to be applauded sir :thumb:

I disagree, guns are designed to kill and many were designed specifically to kill people.

You only have to look at the numerous awful incidents involving legally held firearms around the globe to realise there is no argument to having licensed firearms in the civilian populace with the small exception of perhaps hunting rifles if used for hunting for food in very remote areas.

Just to say that anyone with a conviction for a violent offence is very unlikely to be granted an FAC (unless it was a minor incident that happened a long time ago etc).

In fact, the police also look at other convictions - e.g. an accumulation of traffic offences - to see if they can establish a pattern of behaviour e.g. disregarding the law.

Whether private ownership of firearms for recreational purposes - e.g. hunting, clay pigeon shooting, target shooting, etc - should be permitted, is one debate, however it is worth noting that the police are doing a very thorough job of ensuring that only those people who meet the current criteria in force will be granted an FAC. Vast improvements have been made to the FAC regulating system since 1996 (Dunblane).

Last edited:
I disagree, guns are designed to kill and many were designed specifically to kill people.

You only have to look at the numerous awful incidents involving legally held firearms around the globe to realise there is no argument to having licensed firearms in the civilian populace with the small exception of perhaps hunting rifles if used for hunting for food in very remote areas.

Some guns are designed to kill along with the ammunition that goes in them but they don't kill unless a human pulls the trigger.

Some guns are designed to kill along with the ammunition that goes in them but they don't kill unless a human pulls the trigger.

Surely more the reason to keep them out of as many hands as possible.
I think it's time to withdraw gun licenses to members of the public,armed forces only,and special licences for farmers would be a way forward.

Surely more the reason to keep them out of as many hands as possible.
I think it's time to withdraw gun licenses to members of the public,armed forces only,and special licences for farmers would be a way forward.

Would gun crime in this country increase if we had the right to bear arms? Who knows? Gun crime and murder by shooting is relatively rare in this country you could argue thats because of the gun laws we have and I wouldn't disagree with that view. I don't want the right to bear arms in public, I want the right to shoot high powered weapons and automatic weapons at a registered club with me as a registered user just the same as I do in the USA and Canada

I spend a lot of time in the USA and in Arizona people openly wear guns on the hip but I don't feel threatened one bit we've gone OTT with the law as regards to clubs knee jerk reactions to the unknown as oh its a gun it can kill people lets ban it. Where do you stop more murders are committed with Baseball Bats and Sledgehammers than guns so should we ban them too :dk:

I think in this world we have a duty to keep ourselves and others safe and if we can remove the threat of guns then that must be a good thing.I don't dispute the fact that they can be used safely in sport,but unfortunately as with many things in life we have to pay for the minority that spoil it for the rest.Base ball bats and sledgehammers could kill someone too,but so can the bare hands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom