Ulez extended to the M25?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So assuming that you live in a democracy, how does one organize against these actions in the UK?

Be creative... there are many ways ordinary citizens can engage and have an impact:

1. Write to your MP.

2. Attend and respond to any public consultation on the matter.

3. Start an online petition to have the matter debated in Parliament.

4. Organise local (legal) demonstrations, and ensure press coverage.

5. Start a Facebook page on the subject and spread the word using social networks such as Twitter etc.

6. If there are parties who will be affected commercially (e.g. tradesmen using vans etc), see if they will contribute towards hiring a media consultant who can ensure your story gets into national and local newspapers such the Daily Mail, the Sun, the Express, Metro, the Evening Standard, etc, as well as on social media platforms.

7. Make sure that come next local and general elections, you do NOT vote for the people who planned and implemented these policies.

But ultimately, if you've tried everything and nothing worked, you'll just to accept the decision of the elected government or Mayor.

Well, I can drive my SL55 into London and it is ULEZ compliant (which surprised me) but I can't drive it to Birmingham - as others have mentioned, consistency would be good.

So in essence, any black cab or bus that are newer than 2014 will be ULEZ complaint (whether they are electric or not). Again, it only pre-2015 Diesel cars that have to pay the £12.50 daily ULEZ charge, everyone else is exempt, and ther's no need to buy an EV, either....
Other matey has a 63 plate Vito. It’s exempt from ULEZ. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Other matey has a 63 plate Vito. It’s exempt from ULEZ. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Some cars were ULEZ compliant ahead of their time, because the manufacturers implemented EU5 and EU6 ahead of the mandatory deadlines. I posted earlier that we had a 52-reg Honda Jazz (petrol) that was ULEZ compliant, even though EU5 became mandatory only from 2014.

Some cars were ULEZ compliant ahead of their time, because the manufacturers implemented EU5 and EU6 ahead of the mandatory deadlines. I posted earlier that we had a 52-reg Honda Jazz (petrol) that was ULEZ compliant, even though EU5 became mandatory only from 2014.
I’m pretty certain he said that he can use it for a further 4 years. He will then make a decision what do in regards to getting a Volvo electric one or retire.
He’s going to be 54 this year and he paid his minuscule mortgage off in December. His horrid wife works for Border Force and they rent rooms in their house to Spanish language students. They’re also in line for a couple of houses being left to them in the next few years so he’s not really stressed out about the ULEZ.

Hi , as Richard said let's have conformity in location and collection of fines.

Agree with the former, not sure about the latter.

The Minimum Living Wage in London is higher than in the rest of the UK. And so are salaries in general at all levels.

So I think it's sensible that fines are higher in areas where people generally earn more.

That said, ULEZ is a charge, not a fine. Committing an offence and paying the fine doesn't make the offence permissible, i.e. it's still an offence and as a such a forbidden act. But paying a charge means that the act that the charge has been paid for is perfectly legal (as long as the applicable charge is paid).

Last edited:
From the TfL website:

"London-licensed taxis are exempt from ULEZ charges. They are currently subject to a 15 year age limit.

All newly licensed taxis must be zero emission capable (ZEC) vehicles. Find out more about how we plan to have the cleanest taxi fleet in the world."

You can tell the best ideas when they exempt themselves from their own rules

You can tell the best ideas when they exempt themselves from their own rules

To clarify, London cabies own their Black Cabs. Their taxi license is regulated via the PCO (Public Carriage Office), who are part of Transport for London (TfL). But the Cabs themselves are privately owned by the drivers.

To clarify, London cabies own their Black Cabs. Their taxi license is regulated via the PCO (Public Carriage Office), who are part of Transport for London (TfL). But the Cabs themselves are privately owned by the drivers.

Nonetheless, they carved out an exemption. I bet money that there are buses older than 2015 in operation too.

Some are rented.

This is it, a beauracrat deciding what's good for you is usually not that good for you. My impression of the new rules is that these people looked at all the progress made by China in the last 30 years and said no thanks. Let's turn London into pre 1990 Beijing and have everybody riding bicycles.
I have this reoccurring dream where I am driving a smokey old Peugeot Diesel through the middle of London, flipping the bird at all of the outraged citizens.
Some of us do not get more sensible with age I fear.

I have this reoccurring dream where I am driving a smokey old Peugeot Diesel through the middle of London, flipping the bird at all of the outraged citizens.
Ha! I would say something similar. If I ever move back , I'd bring back a rust free 300TD with the injection pump turned all the way up so that I can roll coal every time I cross into it.

As a Londoner, all I can say is that sadly there are too many people 'living your dream'.... :(

From what i have gathered it is all the rage for car people in the London area to now run a ULEZ complaint V8 instead of a frugal daily driver. Last chance saloon and all that.

The co2 levels must be off the charts down the old smoke. Well done Mr Khan. Strategy not your strong point perhaps.

From what i have gathered it is all the rage for car people in the London area to now run a ULEZ complaint V8 instead of a frugal daily driver. Last chance saloon and all that.

The co2 levels must be off the charts down the old smoke. Well done Mr Khan. Strategy not your strong point perhaps.
They would be very much in the minority, nice idea though :)

I’m in central London everyday and I’ve seem no evidence of this.

I’m in central London everyday and I’ve seem no evidence of this.
What a pity. Seems entirely logical to me that when you are forced to replace your high torque non ulez compliant diesel you have to up the cubic capacities in a ulez compliant petrol car to reach an equivalent level of driving 'shove'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom