Ultimate Performance and Design 3000 stall converter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pauljay

Car
2000 CLK 430/55
Hi Guys! I haven't posted on here for a while but I wanted to tell you about my latest installation...

I approached UPD after reading up on their product which is a brand new (no core return) custom installation for the CLK55, C55 and C32, basically the NA AMG models. They look at your torque and power output then match it with the correct stall converter. The one fitted to my car is a new product they have tried and tested.

I spoke with Brooke via email, great Guy. He didn't try to sell me the product, just gave me information about what to expect and pointed me to posts about what others received and their testimonies. I sat on the fence for a while before doing more investigating then pulled the plug. I couldn't find any information on the UK Forum sites about stall converters, my reading came from the web and the US Forum MBWorld. I'm sticking my hand up claiming to be the 1st in the UK to do such a mod, I know from confirmation that UPD haven't sold any units here!.. There's plenty of information out there about UPD and their products so I won't delve in to that.

The same day I ordered and paid (via PayPal) I received a confirmation and tracking number for shipping! I was given priority shipping and within 3 weeks I had it in my hands.

The converter arrived well packaged weighing 25lbs, it seemed heavy to me but it is around 10lbs lighter than stock and 1.5in smaller (big difference all around).

My local indie fitted it for me together with a full transmission oil change in 3 hrs (so don't let anyone tell you it's 6hrs as I've read), it would have been quicker but my custom exhaust had to be removed.

Brooke from UPD mentioned that there isn't a break in period or special way to drive, just install, top up oil if necessary then drive. By the way my Indie commented on what a quality part it was, how everything lined up perfectly and that it all went back together quicker and easier than taking it apart!

A quick drive around the block to heat up the oil for measuring and drivability check showed that on part throttle my car now threw me back more violently, just on half throttle! The car squirming down the road with the traction light blinking, I liked the feeling it gave.

Once topped up the 25 mile drive home was uneventful. I knew that the converter would spin up to 3000 revs quite readily for low speed overtakes and rocket starts from standstill. What I didn't suspect was how natural and pleasurable the drive would be. Pulling away my car feels like it uses a little more revs, but it feels quite smooth, even gear changes are uneventfully smooth. It's only when you plant your foot down that the cars character changes from a sleek long distance runner to that of a muscle bound sprinter!

I thought I lost some torque in the mid and higher rev range as I didn't get that 'lean back' feeling as I accelerated above 3000 rpm. I slowed down so the revs dropped to 2000 rpm put my foot down and saw the rev counter instantly jump to 3000 and the car gave me that torque laden feeling, but only more so!

I haven't driven my car enough to get a full understanding of how it's changed and how to drive it now, but I am impressed with the short drive, even more so when I stepped out on to my driveway and realised that my stomach had been given an involuntary workout, I had been tensing without even knowing it!!

As I learn more I'll post up, but I've already told a mate of mine with a converted C43/55 to get one!.. :y

Attachments

• DSC_0002.jpg
    DSC_0002.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 37
More pictures so you can see the difference!..

Attachments

• DSC_0005.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_0007.jpg
    DSC_0007.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC_0008.jpg
    DSC_0008.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 37
Pulling away my car feels like it uses a little more revs, but it feels quite smooth,
I would have thought less revs, it must slip more on part load, then lock more as load increases.
I thought I lost some torque in the mid and higher rev range as I didn't get that 'lean back' feeling as I accelerated above 3000 rpm.
A torque converter acts as a torque multiplier (slips), so now you should be feeling engine torque only from whatever revs the engine is rotation at.

Yes Dieselman, you are correct when mentioning about the slippage and torque multiplying. That is exactly how it feels!

A Few Specs,

3000 stall RPM
10 lbs lighter than stock (less rotating mass for engine to turn)
HD Torrington bearings to reduce drag
3 HD Raybestos locking clutches VS the weak 2 clutches
HD internals parts

Sounds like an excellent mod.

DM, any known downsides to fitting this T/C against the standard M-B one?

Dieselman,

Launching is a lot sharper, you only need part throttle to spin the tyres from standstill. I've employed a two stage take off using lighter throttle!

I already have a Sprint Booster fitted which shortens the signal delay of the pedal action, this acts further on that giving a healthy dose of torque when needed in the rev range. I've been told that when shifting the revs don't drop as much keeping you in the meat of the power..

John Jones Jr,

So far I haven't come across any downsides. Only that some people have experienced their mpg go down a couple of digits on average around town, but gain them back on a longer cruise! This converter locks up earlier on constant revs therefore wasting less power..

I've just had the Stall Converter installed along with EC Built transmission as the sheer power lights up the triangle up to naughty speeds so this should see a major improvement. :cool:

Will report back next week when I'm back from Offshore :thumb:

Transmission : High Throw Torque Convertor

ChrisA

Nice one!.. Doesn't say which stall just a few hundred higher than stock? You're going to love it though, looking forward to your report from your monster!

Dieselman

How does it lengthen it? The pedal requires less input for more response..

Dieselman

How does it lengthen it? The pedal requires less input for more response..

A sprint booster is an amplifier. By definition that means a processing delay.

In addition the accelerator goes dead at 2/3rds throttle, which is a horrible feeling.

You would be better just burying the throttle pedal more.

paul iam glad to of been of service to you it was a nice job to do. The new converter is quite a bit lighter and good quality.

Good mod

Hi Robin!

If you get yours, you'll love it, especially with your gearing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom