Ultimate W124 Engine Oil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

imbck666

Car
Mercedes W124 230E Saloon (SOLD), W210 E200 (WRITTEN OFF), W210 E240 2001 Facelift, W211 E220 cdi 07
Hi all! :)

I know this has been discussed various times before but I couldn't find a definitive answer as to what the best oil for my car is.

As you can see from my profile I have a W124 Pre facelift 1990 230E Saloon Auto.
I am currently using 10W40 as I have been for the last 3 services I have conducted and have not experienced any problems, however I just want to know what the best engine oil would be for my car as I have heard things like Mobil 1 synthetic etc... The miles are getting on and I dont want to make a wrong move on oil picking so best to ask you guys!

The car is on 167,000 Miles now... no oil usage leaks etc..
M102 engine.. all good "touchwood" !
Is it worth me changing to a full synthetic oil Mobil 1 or just keep on 10W40?

Im kinda lost as some say its good to change to thinner oil as the engine gets older, but others say stay on the same ???

Any ideas would be kindly appriciated...

Thanks!

hi

moving over to fully synthetic at the mileage on your car WILL cause leaks ( ask me how i know :-[ ) so if all is well with the engine DON't change the oil type now.

hope this helps

brendan

isn't it the other way around? i.e. use slightly thicker oil as the milage goes on?

Ive been told many things that vary but I heard that as the miles pick up, move to a thinner oil to protect the components of the engine ?? :S im lost..

so its not worth switching to something like mobil 1?

For a 124 a quality semi synthetic is the way to go. 10/40 grade is ideal in the UK. The engines were not designed to run on fully synthetic.

I've always been told on these older engines (my M104 included) stick to the 10-40 semi synthetic as they're both designed to run on it and also tend to leak when water-like fully synthetic's put in, especially at higher miles. Both MB and indi's have recommended this, hope it helps!

synthetic or mineral etc is not anything to do with how 'thin' or 'thick'
(viscocity) the oil is.

A 10w-40w will be identical viscosity whether it is fully synthetic or totally mineral.

The advanatge of fully synthetic is that it will hold it's composition better and longer than mineral.

It will not degrade as quickly.

I use 10/40 fully synthetic in my 178,000 mile 104 engine.

(viscocity) the oil is.

A 10w-40w will be identical viscosity whether it is fully synthetic or totally mineral.

The advanatge of fully synthetic is that it will hold it's composition better and longer than mineral.

Interesting. Not heard it explained like that before.

My oil is changed every 6000 miles, so it may just be down to cost next time.

I will still find it hard to "step away" from a semi synth though. Bit like moving from a dial phone to push buttons I guess.

(viscocity) the oil is.

Hi Kth286, so does your car has any oil leak right now that is caused by using fully synthetic oil? Are you using Mobil1 or other type of synthetic oil? Many thanks!

10w40 semisynthetic

I tell people to forget about Mobil 1, put ordinary oil in, change it every 6-9k, and spend the money on bushes & suspension parts

Nick Froome

Last edited by a moderator:
5w40

MB put 5w40 in my 300ce-24 back in 1997 when I bought it and I've done the same ever since. Always been fine.

I tend to think the fully synthetic oil might be more forgiving when I've managed to forget the oil change for 12 or 13 thousand Kms instead of 10!

RayH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom