ultra rare convertible cabriolet 500 sec anybody got one!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I didn't think I was going to like it, but that looks pretty special in that colour combination and with the Penta's

I saw a blue one in Saint Tropez - They look great in person!

bq6xiVZ.jpg

746STGj.jpg

These were converted by Styling-Garage Hamburg and also by Vantagefield of London among others .
Styling Garage also did the famous Gullwing conversion!
vorab07.JPG

Lovely!

That Saint Tropez one is the best looking example of these I think I've seen. So many look close but just not quite right, any more pics of it.....

the gullwing i seen one in person brought from uae which was in a collection one of seven from collector known as the rainbow shiekh for restoration once the found out the cost was over 30k it was left to be disposed off.

they are very rare and cost over 250k new.

i believe a member has them in their collection maybe i am wrong

I love the SEC's, but did not know there was a gull wing conversion, wow what a car. Excellent investment surely, I could be tempted.

Sadly I didnt, there were many old Merc's out in Saint Tropez, along side all the supercars!

The SEC seems has majesty and majestic lines, something that modern cars have lost, if that makes sense. I would like to see a modernised version, in the same vein as the Interceptor; existing body with updated brakes/suspension/engine/gearbox/ancillaries.

Fully agree, Giantvanman, I always wanted a W126 coupe (and an Interceptor for that matter) – but in the UK climate they’re now too old to run except as garage queen classics. I’m running my 220CE as a daily driver, and have to reluctantly accept that in a couple of years It’ll be too rotten to be worth keeping.

Americans can now get new Dodge Challengers with the upgrades you mention – we Europeans needs something along those lines, but elegant / classy, rather than vulgar / brutish Mopar iron.

Cheers, Chris
93 220CE, auto, red / black leather, 101k, Manchester

Why are the door handles on these so piggin ugly?

The door handles are rumoured to be Bruno Saaco's only regret. Apparently he still runs an SEC himself, but had the door handles altered.

I heard this on t'internet though, so.... :)

Anyway the original design is to keep the door handles cleaner on long fast journeys in filthy weather. I know what you mean, nobody likes them. I don't really care personally, I think the rust on mine is uglier :)

The handles look like they were designed for Richard Kiel!

Re the convertible: the folded roof reminds me of a German staff car, and I'm not talking language teachers.

I'm pretty sure "Shahin" means Hawk in an Arab language, which is probably due to the market it was made for and of course the winged doors. I recall a feature in Fast Lane magazine around 1985 where they took a wander round companies like Gemballa and Strosek (spelling doubtless dodgy). There were w126 SELs with gold for chrome and hawk emblems for gearshifts...

As much as I agree it will be a struggle because the MB design department is catering more for the Asian taste than the European taste - to keep sales up.

Just take a look at the new S-Class cabriolet, very much a case of "Chinese eyes" at the front. MB could take a leaf out of Audi's book and give the Asian public something genuinely Euro IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom