Unable to access 1971 280s w108 boot/trunk while car is being repaired

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Car
W124, W108
Hi All

Hope someone can help....

The car is being repaired so does not start at the moment, and I am unable to access the boot/trunk on my 1971 280s w108 .

The lock is currently in the horizontal position, I do not have a key that fits in the key hole.

All I can do at the moment is manually open the drivers door. Normally when I open the drivers door manually with the key, all the other locks including the boot/trunk open without having to start the car, but if left for approx. 1 hour, only the drivers door will open.

Seems like the vacuum only last for a short while...

Is there way to open /access the boot/trunk ?

Thanks

Not unless you plan to bust out a tail light or use a slide hammer on the lock barrel. I think that the vacuum reservoir is behind the front wing. If you can get to it,, you might be able to use a vacuum pump to pull a vacuum, but I would just wait , or bust the lock out so that you can order a new one with a key.

Not unless you plan to bust out a tail light or use a slide hammer on the lock barrel. I think that the vacuum reservoir is behind the front wing. If you can get to it,, you might be able to use a vacuum pump to pull a vacuum, but I would just wait , or bust the lock out so that you can order a new one with a key.

thanks alabbasi

the cylinder head is in the boot / trunk and while waiting for parts the boot /trunk seems to have locked when drivers door was locked. not sure if I connect the battery and door drivers door is opened with key if it will open the boot / trunk lock ?

do you know about drill a small hole method ?

not sure where exactly this hole needs to be drilled....

I'm not sure exactly what you mean but I had the exact same problem in my 6.3. I just drilled right through the barrel itself. Once it's drilled through. You can use a screw driver to push on the lock itself and open the boot. I figured the cheapest thing to damage is the lock assembly as you can unbolt it and get another one.

In the late 60s I had this problem with my 190, keys in boot had to drill the lock.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean but I had the exact same problem in my 6.3. I just drilled right through the barrel itself. Once it's drilled through. You can use a screw driver to push on the lock itself and open the boot. I figured the cheapest thing to damage is the lock assembly as you can unbolt it and get another one.

Sorry I should have explained it better. The engine is getting repaired, so the garage put the cylinder head, valve/rocker cover in the boot / trunk while I am waiting for parts.

So drill straight through where the key is inserted ?

Is there anyway else to tap into the vacuum line if unable to access the egg box vacuum pump ?

That was what I did. I'm sure that behind the back seat. You'll be able to trace the vacuum lines. No idea which one it is but given that you'll need a lock with a key. The smart money is go get one.

Hi all

Just to update you all, the garage where the car is managed to open the boot / trunk without having to drill into the lock. They said they managed to get into the vacuum line. I will ask them the exact location when I visit the garage sometime next week.

This will be useful for others if they come across the same issue, as the other forum posts (on another website) mentioned drilling a hole and replacing the lock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom