Unable to lock the boot manually

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jasonyw

Banned
I have a 2005 W211.

According to the owner manual, it said to you can manually lock the boot by turning the blade from 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock. I can managed to turn it to 2 o'clock and cannot remove the blade. The blade can be removed only if I turn it back to 12 o'clock. The mechanical lock seemed to be tampered.

Anyone can help?:doh:

Spray it full of penetrating oil and keep working it until it free's off.

I take it you can open the boot electronically. When you are spraying into the lock have the boot in the open position so that the lock barrel is vertical, that way the oil gets where it needs to go much better.

I believe the key can only be removed from most locks in the 12 o’clock position.

Dec

I can't even turn it clockwise but can turn it anti-clockwise from 12 noon to 10 o'clock.

I spray a lot of WD40 and it still the same.:doh:

Keep flooding the lock with the boot in the open position every 10 minutes and work the key in the lock without undue force, put the oil spray can straw inside the keyhole as far as it will go. Give it time and it will work.

Dec

I did flood the boot lock and even took out the felt to find out what happening.

Newer lock cannot lock it manually only unlock if already locked with remote control. Can only turn anti-clockwise from 12 noon to 10 o'clock.

Can someone confirm this? It a June 2005 W211.

MB boot locks seizing because of lack of use is a common problem - persistance with wd40 (or a better penatrating oil) and wiggling usually does the trick. Persistance is the key word here.

Should it not be a graphite lubricant for lock barrels ?

Should it not be a graphite lubricant for lock barrels ?
Ideally for lubricating yes.

And conversly, once freed up, WD-40 etc should not be used as a lubricant - after all it's mainly paraffin and actually makes an excellentde-greasing agent. I recently had the camshaft cover and breathers off of the wifes Astra, WD-40 did an excellent job of cleaning up the breather "gauze" and the outside of the engine (where the gasket had been weaping for a while) far better than gunk.

What about a silicon based oil?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom