Unable to release Steering lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arun

Hi,

I have a 2001 Mercedes Clk 200 kompressor, auto

Not sure where my problem lies....car central locking is released via my key, but on entering the key into the ignition, it fails to turn. Steering wheel remain in locked position. Tried my spare key with same fault, even changing batteries on key and the car battery itself...it was a longshot but tried it.

Car has gone to a local garage, had to get recovery truck to transport it. The garage wants my spare key after failing to come to any conclusion. Once they have the 2nd key and have performed their tests they believe it will either be a new key or a new ignition barrel or both???

price quoted if this is what they find out tomorrow: ignition barrel £600 plus vat and £190 for a new key. Am I being ripped off, is this the normal rate? anyone have any other ideas I could try.

Many Thanks

If the CLK has the Das111 (non flip out) then it could be the complete switch and that is nearer £500.

Did you try your spare key

Hi Thanks for the repy, it's a non-flipout key, yes I tried the spare, even changed the batteries on that key...I think their asking for the spare key just to perform some tests on that also to confirm their findings...very depressing.

Hi Thanks for the repy, it's a non-flipout key, yes I tried the spare, even changed the batteries on that key...I think their asking for the spare key just to perform some tests on that also to confirm their findings...very depressing.

You don't need the key batteries to start the car (just for remote opening doors etc.). Since both keys fail being authorised, it must be the electronic ignition switch as TV says.

You don't need the key batteries to start the car (just for remote opening doors etc.). Since both keys fail being authorised, it must be the electronic ignition switch as TV says.

Hi Thanks, so would the electronic igniton switch need replacing or can this be repaired....and how much would i expect to pay for replacement? Thanks

Ignition switch fault is most likley.

The switch is roughly 480plus vat. There is a special coding key that you will need often called a green key (now orange).

Some new ignition switches need new keys too itt depends on part number.

When the switch is fitted it will need coding by a star machine to turn on model specific options etc.

Hi Thanks, so would the electronic igniton switch need replacing or can this be repaired....and how much would i expect to pay for replacement? Thanks
Need's replacing and Malc's on the money with the pricing.

Edit - And so's BlackC55.

Sounds like the garage will confirm the same tomorrow! Thanks all, advice much appreciated.

Next time be easy with it. Move the steering wheel sideways to release the steering lock and don't force it before you turn the key.:rolleyes:

Next time be easy with it. Move the steering wheel sideways to release the steering lock and don't force it before you turn the key.:rolleyes:
He can't turn the key period. It not a fault with the steering lock, its the EIS.

Isn't there a little window on the inside of the slot where the key goes? What's that for? If it's dirty would it fail to unlock the ignition?

Isn't there a little window on the inside of the slot where the key goes? What's that for? If it's dirty would it fail to unlock the ignition?

When you insert your key, the transponder ring a around the lock (plastic ring) energises the sender in the key, and picked up by the reciever thats the red disc in the bottom of the hole. this is why a key with no batteries will start the car.

In the picture on the bottom PCB there is a little white square,, that is the pick up reciever.

I have known people to clean the red cover at the bottom of the hole and this has worked,, but the idea gets poo pooed here

Attachments

• Picture 581.jpg
    Picture 581.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 50

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom